In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Robo-Calls

yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,979 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2019 in General Discussion
Got a call from Social Security last week and yesterday (I think) some department issued a arrest warrant. Didn't say who issued it but if I called they'll not peruse it. Don't these machines know when the answering machine states "YOU should not have this number" that means them? Not very "smart" phones. I wonder who'll call leaving me threating messages today? I wonder if I can have them arrested for leaving terrorist messages?

I think I'll work on a new message. Something along "I don't negotiate with terrorists who leaves threatening messages". Or maybe something with "I don't take ultimatums from Skynet".

Comments

• Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,137 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    https://www.callblockerusa.com/

CPR Call Blocker. I have one. It works.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    if you return call you may get charged for time ??? or if ya gave them your debit card, bank, SS#, and other info, this could be your last call from them ???
  • yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,979 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No calls today so I guess they'll be coming for me.
  • hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,121 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    got one yesterday said my social security number was gonna be suspended, for some crime I did in texas. Oh well .........
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    And if suspending your SS # is not enuff, they are going to take away your birthday and bend yer dogtags?..
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    think about it Yosh, it is a robo call. NO Person is listening to your message. The computer doesn't care, its job is to spew, and it will no matter what your message. Call blocker is your answer. Verizon has a new one coming for its customers.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rocky Raab wrote:
    https://www.callblockerusa.com/

CPR Call Blocker. I have one. It works.

That works on landlines, I don't even have one.
  • buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,235 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got 2 threatening calls from social security and 1 from a colored girl FBI agent.
  • bustedkneebustedknee Member Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My answering machine says,

"We have been getting so many scam calls we no longer answer this phone. If you are a legimate caller please leave a message.
    I check messages once a year and will get right back to you."

Big improvement!
    I can't believe they misspelled "Pork and Beans!"
  • Quick&DeadQuick&Dead Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I recently heard the Feds are cracking down on robo-calls with some new regulations or a law.
    Not sure when it's to go into effect.

:?:
    The government has no rights. Only the people have rights which empowers the government.
    We have enough gun laws, what we need is IDIOT control.
    Blood makes you related. Loyalty makes you family.

I thought getting old would take longer. :shock:
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,675 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Robo-calls are bad enough but the calls that employ number spoofing are the ones that go all over me. The general scam is they display a local number, usually from valid numbers. My wife's prefix is different on her cell phone than mine is. She gets them from her number range and I get them from my prefix. In fact, I have even gotten a call from myself. There are legit uses for number spoofing such as when different departments of a company make outbound calls, but want to display the main return call number. Law enforcement can also use it. But the use in 99% of these is not legal.

?When is spoofing illegal??

Under the Truth in Caller ID Act, FCC rules prohibit anyone from transmitting misleading or inaccurate caller ID information with the intent to defraud, cause harm or wrongly obtain anything of value. Anyone who is illegally spoofing can face penalties of up to $10,000 for each violation. However, spoofing is not always illegal. There are legitimate, legal uses for spoofing, like when a doctor calls a patient from her personal mobile phone and displays the office number rather than the personal phone number or a business displays its toll-free call-back number.?
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
    edited November -1
    New laws and fines sound good, but are toothless. Many if not most scam calls originate from other countries. Even if they could identify the crooks, what are they going to do, ask them to please fly here to be prosecuted?
    edited November -1
    Good point Rocky. I think the best course of action is with technology at the phone provider.

Perhaps if there was a federal type database that you had to sign up for in order to use spoofing techniques and maybe even bonded, and there were a way (like *69) to report illegal spoof calls immediately, those registered accounts could be reported to the service providers who would not relay the spoofed number but instead show either the real actual number, or not allow the call to be made period.

What a nice long :lol: run-on sentence.
    edited November -1
    IMO the phone companies could prevent spoofing and robo calls in a heartbeat but they won't. They are making big $$ selling phone time. :twisted:

Follow the money.
    ;)
    The government has no rights. Only the people have rights which empowers the government.

edited November -1
    Quick&Dead wrote:
    IMO the phone companies could prevent spoofing and robo calls in a heartbeat but they won't. They are making big $$ selling phone time. :twisted:

Oh, most definitely. Even if they weren't making anything by allowing it, ultimately it will cost them to fight it. I am in I.T. and spend a fair amount of time working with our spam filters as new trends/threats appear. I am currently trying to develop a method for using a quantity of misspelled words as a filter. It is working perfect for general messages, except emails with lots of names in it.
    edited November -1
    LOL! A spelling filter would block half or more of the posts here!
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    some baztrds like sirius radio need some SERIOUS retribution for their persistent irritation and i tried to find one of their locations close enuff to display my review of their 2 year annoyance program after buying a vehicle that the previous owner subscribed to ..wonder if the dealers sell their sales lists to them.....the state and federal no call lists function to s l o w to be of real deterrent
  • BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,280 ******
    edited November -1
    Being retired, I have a few days once in a while where boredom can get the best of me. Those are the days that spam calls make for great entertainment and joy where I do my best to play the stupid, na?ve old guy that goes along with Haboo for as long as I can. Never giving up any personal information, but keeping the foreign criminal occupied on the line. Keeping him from screwing someone else that may be gullible to their schemes! :twisted:
    edited November -1
    Brookwood wrote:
    Being retired, I have a few days once in a while where boredom can get the best of me. Those are the days that spam calls make for great entertainment and joy where I do my best to play the stupid, na?ve old guy that goes along with Haboo for as long as I can. Never giving up any personal information, but keeping the foreign criminal occupied on the line. Keeping him from screwing someone else that may be gullible to their schemes! :twisted:

Have you ever mentioned you have relation that works with the FBI/CIA Fraud division?
    If you believe Adam and Eve were the first humans, then we are ALL related ... including those who do work in the Fed Gov't positions. ;)

• diver-rigdiver-rig Member Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I start talking dirty to them, after pressing whatever number to get a representative on the line. I tell them I like really nasty stuff, and what explicitly I'm going to do to them.

They usually start cussing at me for wasting their time.

It's funnier if they're a male, but I don't care if they are or not.
  • TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This one is the highest rated, and it's free, but all it does is block the calls after one ring.
    https://www.nomorobo.com/signup

This one has a 7 day free trial, it's the one that messes with the callers.
    https://www.robokiller.com/
  • Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd like to know the address of one of those behind the calls and show up at their house and beat the crap out of them. I can visualize grabbing the punk by the throat and slinging him across the room into a wall head first then jumping on top of him and beating his eyes and nose into mush, then picking him up and throwing him though a second story plate glass window to the concrete below. Then go down and tie his lifeless body to the bumper of my car and dragging him down the highway at 80 or 90 mph until there's nothing left but the frayed end of the rope.

Then I'd stop off at Taco Bell and have a couple of tacos and then cruise on back home. :mrgreen:
  • wiplashwiplash Member Posts: 7,146 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd like to know the address of one of those behind the calls and show up at their house and beat the crap out of them. I can visualize grabbing the punk by the throat and slinging him across the room into a wall head first then jumping on top of him and beating his eyes and nose into mush, then picking him up and throwing him though a second story plate glass window to the concrete below. Then go down and tie his lifeless body to the bumper of my car and dragging him down the highway at 80 or 90 mph until there's nothing left but the frayed end of the rope.

Then I'd stop off at Taco Bell and have a couple of tacos and then cruise on back home. :mrgreen:

Please go to your front door, open it, and put your hands in the air! We are here to take your guns. :o;)
    There is no such thing as Liberal Men, only Liberal Women with Penises.'
  • kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I guess I need to get out more, I find myself looking forward to them!!! :lol::lol::lol: Just kidding, of course!!! :lol:
    What's next?
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Brookwood- you've got the right idea!

With very little effort, I have found you can get the scammer into a screaming, frothing at the mouth state. I can generally start with "Patel! Is that you, man? Hey, I heard that they were looking to arrest you- something about your sister! "

Since a lot of these calls come from India and Pakistan, I have some friends that have coached me in Hindi and Urdu- to where I can call you a thief, and dog, and pig, and refer to an unnatural relationship to one's sister.

When the caller asks how I am doing- I tell them I am doing much better than they are- I do not spend my day trying to steal from old people. So tell me- what made you decide to be a thief? Was it that you were too lazy to work, or too much of a coward to mug old ladies and steal their purses?

I did not originate the call, they are not MY customer, and I am under no compulsion to be nice, polite, civil or pleasant. They are common thieves, they interrupted my nap, and are using up oxygen.

Enjoy the show- it's free. :twisted: