In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Methhead thing I did

yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,985 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2019 in General Discussion
Took apart a toaster oven today. The light comes on but no heat. Had a slight electronic burning smell. But before I cracked her open do the traditional American fix. Yes I hit it a few times. May have seen a arc or two? So I hit it again. Didn't fix it.

Man Oster toaster ovens are pain in the * to take apart. The sheet metal is tucked under the face plate so all the exposed screws yes even the ones inside the oven has to be taken out. So the problem was easy to spot. One of the wires corroded and snapped off. I had to use one of those Disconnect Terminal (had to google it for the name) to complete the circuit. I think the original might have been stainless? But all I had was aluminum and wasn't sure this was gonna fix it I didn't wanna go to ACE for the part.

Well that fixed it. So I guess I need to locate a stainless one when the aluminum one fails. Next time I'm gonna swap the lower heating element to the top since I don't use that (they were like brand new). Also the amazing bit was I had no extra screws in the dish :o:o:o.

Comments

• diver-rigdiver-rig Member Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    yoshmyster wrote:
    Took apart a toaster oven today. The light comes on but no heat. Had a slight electronic burning smell. But before I cracked her open do the traditional American fix. Yes I hit it a few times. May have seen a arc or two? So I hit it again. Didn't fix it.

Man Oster toaster ovens are pain in the * to take apart. The sheet metal is tucked under the face plate so all the exposed screws yes even the ones inside the oven has to be taken out. So the problem was easy to spot. One of the wires corroded and snapped off. I had to use one of those Disconnect Terminal (had to google it for the name) to complete the circuit. I think the original might have been stainless? But all I had was aluminum and wasn't sure this was gonna fix it I didn't wanna go to ACE for the part.

Well that fixed it. So I guess I need to locate a stainless one when the aluminum one fails. Next time I'm gonna swap the lower heating element to the top since I don't use that (they were like brand new). Also the amazing bit was I had no extra screws in the dish :o:o:o.

Obviously, you did something wrong. There?s no call for not having left over parts. Harrumph
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,675 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The best way to fix it is sticking a fork in it.
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,280 ******
    edited November -1
    Yosh! I hope you realize that we are living in a throw away society! Fixing stuff went out with tube testers and TV repair shops!

I sure hope your temp fix doesn't bite you in the end! :)

Disclaimer: This post is artificially coated with GREEN font. It is invisible to the naked eye but can be easily seen with a pair of those special sunglasses only available through the TV adds. The ones that show the American Eagle on a blank blue screen.
    Get yours today, just 19.95 and we'll even throw in a second pair. With just an added fee of another 19.95
  • yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,985 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    diver-rig - I didn't say I put all the screws in the correct hole. I had two that weren't pointy. Saw one but I didn't know which hole the other one went in to and I wasn't about to undo what I did to fid it so...

Flying Clay Disk - The toaster oven of course. I don't have that kind a money to hit the glass pipe. Now a briar or meerschum every now and gain.

bambihunter - No fork chop sticks :lol::lol::lol:. And not the Stainless the Koreans use. That's just dangerous.

Brookwood - I had to try to fix it since I'm reeling from my buying ammo because my state wants to know who's buying ammo. As for the toaster biting me in the rear I think I'll put a gallon of water in a thin plastic jug over it after it's unplugged and stone cold. Just in case it want's to catch fire after an hour.