In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

What?s fair. Seller double sold gun. Not a complaint

tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,891 ✭✭✭
edited June 2019 in General Discussion
Ok. Not complaining or calling out this guy. Just trying to find solutions
I won a nice ar used for $500. $1000 new .Seller is hard to get hold of. Finally emails me, ?sorry sold it in shop, forgot to pull when placed on auction.?
I told him, ?not ok. Can you give equivalent deal on something ?
He says, ? I?ll just charge you cost on a new one. That?s $900.?
Not a good enough deal. What other solutions can I suggest. I asked, ? give me a great deal on something that?s been sitting there too long.?
But don?t know what else is fair, just looking to see if yall have an amicable solution. Cheers!

Comments

• mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Really no excuse, if you list it on GB you need to manage it IMPO

Not the first time that has ever happened lOL
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Or winning bid was to low and didn't want to let it go for that. If he does not make it right burn him on his review to warn others. His mistake he should eat the loss and make you a below cost deal. Bob
  • BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,269 ******
    edited November -1
    I would say forget it and just move on. No money out of your pocket has been spent and the seller will have to pay the GB sold fees.

There will be another that will come your way if you stay vigilant. You could also give the seller a bad feedback and make it not happen again to someone else.
  • SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Usually I see both sides of a difficulty as having some right to them. This is not one of those times. He listed an item he did not intend to follow through on the sale of. I have no patience with this type of behavior. As a general rule I do not bid on auction the have a declaimer stating the item is also for sale in their shop. I expect an auction to be an auction.

I would leave an F feedback with "seller listed an item he did not intend to sale at fair auction and refused to honor the sale". Then turn my back on the situation. His problem.
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,527 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Brookwood wrote:
    I would say forget it and just move on. No money out of your pocket has been spent and the seller will have to pay the GB sold fees.

There will be another that will come your way if you stay vigilant. You could also give the seller a bad feedback and make it not happen again to someone else.

+1
  • 35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In an instance like that, my amicable solution would be scorched earth. You bid, you won, and they didn't have the attention span long enough to keep track of what they had listed? Not your problem. Burn his *, and dance in the ashes.
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    35 Whelen wrote:
    In an instance like that, my amicable solution would be scorched earth. You bid, you won, and they didn't have the attention span long enough to keep track of what they had listed? Not your problem. Burn his *, and dance in the ashes.

Yes, yes my Brother.

We are on the same page. :o
  • Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know what Captfun would have done and it wouldn't be fun for the seller.
  • shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    35 Whelen wrote:

Yes, yes my Brother.

We are on the same page. :o

Me too!!! Feedback is not enough...because they'll just give you an F too...complain to Gunbroker, they are violating the terms of the auction...you can bet the seller would stick it to you if you backed out. My reaction is the seller is lying...they got burned on a no reserve auction and don't want to deliver. I remember a seller on here burned a buyer on a high end 1911...the buyer publically shamed the seller's business on all the 1911 related facebook pages, which this seller was members and it worked..the seller ended up making the situation right after all the public pressure. If GB was run with integrity this seller should be immediately suspended from sales, and if proven true removed from the platform.
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    won a no reserve auction rat here on GB...sent money, transfer sheet and nothing happened(me with 100% +++)...and the stupid posted the SAME item back for sale with the SAME pictures and a two hundred dollar higher price........i got my money back after two months and GB (bless them) banned his sorry *......
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Brookwood has it dead zero.
  • GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,704 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    His bad but there are several on here that don't watch their items. IMO he should pull it from the rack and wait until GB runs its course. But what do I know.
    I would move on and don't look back and don't buy from him again. imo
  • buschmasterbuschmaster Member Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    if he has another one to sell you, or something similar you agree on, that would be okay.

otherwise no he can't put something up for auction and sell it out from under you. nonpaying bidders get an NPB, non-selling sellers should get an equivalent strike against them.

sold in the store first? too forkin' bad! he shouldn't have it for sale in the store the same time people are bidding on it at an auction!
  • yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it were other way around where you didn't pay dude would've pitched a *. What was I reading on here about restocking fee. Charge him 20% for your loss of time and (what's that thing?) emotional distress :lol::lol::lol:.
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,675 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't really have a problem with a gun dealer having an item on the rack. But, if someone comes in the store and looks it over and decides they want it, the very first thing should be for the seller to pull up the GB auction to verify there is no bids that would qualify as 'winning'. Meaning if it is a reserve auction and no one has bid above the reserve amount, or, there are no bids on an auction with no reserve. Then, they should pull the auction, THEN make the sale locally.

I like the 'buyer' restocking fee idea... I think it is particularly fitting since you said the seller was hard to get a hold of. Any well run business would keep tabs on their auctions and any that were sold would be pulled from displayed inventory. It should have been this point at the latest that he seller realized his mistake and then been forward to you. I am MUCH more patient with people when they just come out and say they screwed up. We are human.
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    35 Whelen wrote:

+1

Oh and post the auction here so we can let him know how we feel too :shock:
    RLTW

• tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,891 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    update... he?s done this before
    Simple brief complaint to auction cs
    He had 8 auctions or so running. Now it shows 0.
    I sent him an email saying that ,?they asked me if seller was trying to make it right!? Haha
    edited November -1
    In reference to a previous post saying he should check bids. This ar was on true auction. It?s going to sell!!
    I did ?steal? it but I?ve been pleasantly surprised for every true auction I was disappointed in
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/818344738
    But it?s exactly what I want. I?m a Barnes fanboy. They are so well made. Us made in house. Very few of those and big supporter of us military.
  • chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    35 Whelen wrote:

Spot on!
    Happened to me before and used to do nothing, but after the 3rd time I realized I was screwing other buyers here on GB.

Sellers make such a damn big deal in their terms of sale how they despise and will except zero excuses for NPBs. Then they go on telling NPB reports will be filed along with an F feedback. They go further to remind you how a bid is a binding contract.

Sellers need to be held to the same standards, report him and give as crappy a feedback as you can.
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******
    edited November -1
    Storefront dealers-Why not have available a means so that walk in customers can bid on a gun that is listed on GB and also for sale in the store? If they don?t have a GB account, help them set up one. Who knows, it may be good for walk in business in several ways.
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your request to him was out of line: You have no right to demand that he sell you another similar gun at any price. Your only right is to demand that he sell you the gun that you won, at the winning price. If he were to offer you a good deal on another gun, & you accepted his offer, that would be OK, but, otherwise, your only option is to file a complaint.

He has to follow the rules. And, so do you.

Neal
  • JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,147 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    jimdeere wrote:
    Storefront dealers-Why not have available a means so that walk in customers can bid on a gun that is listed on GB and also for sale in the store? If they don?t have a GB account, help them set up one. Who knows, it may be good for walk in business in several ways.

Once that firearm has received a bid it should have been removed completely out of view of walk-in customers, doing that would prevent what happened (if you believe the owners story :lol: ) which I find suspect. I say turn all the Info over to GB'ers, this hurts their reputation badly when things like this goes un-checked

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• WranglerWrangler Member Posts: 5,788
    edited November -1
    35 Whelen wrote:

+1
    edited June 2019
    nmyers wrote:
    Your request to him was out of line: You have no right to demand that he sell you another similar gun at any price. Your only right is to demand that he sell you the gun that you won, at the winning price. If he were to offer you a good deal on another gun, & you accepted his offer, that would be OK, but, otherwise, your only option is to file a complaint.

He has to follow the rules. And, so do you

Bs. what rule did I break? Trying to come up with a solution, rather than get him bounced.
    Iwas trying to come up with possible solutions. No demand was made. I even proposed to pay extra in first email,so he wouldn?t be out on shipping also (before he flaked.) I also offered him previous buy it now price. And in the flip side. When I?ve sold items here for twice what I expected, I refunded shipping completely. Done that several times.
    So sorry you were butt hurt by this. That must be hard for you.😪 so sorry I got a repeat offender bounced for again failing to honor a legally binding contract by crawfishing.

I asked him for input. This was just the only solution I could come up with. And guess what. No reply. I filed a complaint!
    edited November -1
    jimdeere wrote:

I would. Perfect solution and competitive way to get$
  • 35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    nmyers wrote:

He has to follow the rules. And, so do you.

Neal

While I'm not 100% up to speed on every single rule required by the auction side here, on other sites I frequent, that have WTS forums, if you as a seller don't hold up your end of the deal, short of death or long-term sickness, and honor it fully, you're gone, and you don't come back. The only thing out of line in all of this is the seller conveniently playing the part of a moron only slightly more intelligent than a mud fence. If it takes the seller ordering the exact firearm won in this auction, to make the sale complete, then the seller should eat every cent of it, up to and including shipping, and if there is a next time, perhaps such a learning experience will better keep their memory jogged in the future.

If the only option with this is to file a complaint, then make damn sure the complaint sees the seller doing further business somewhere else.

You want more than one strike? Go play baseball.
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm glad to see that perhaps he is being held accountable by GB.