In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Swift driver?

Comments

• Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nice

There is a bridge in Durham NC that is famous for destroying Trailers and tall vehicles, It has its own web page its called the 11 foot 8 bridge. They have placed warning lights that flash and all kind of signs warning people but they still crash.

Here are some crashes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USu8vT_tfdw
    RLTW

• babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is a school just outside of Nashville,TN. that I was the Electrical foreman on as it was being built.
    It had a covered entrance way that the school buses dumped off kids at.
    My crew just finished installing the overhead lights and we watched the General contractor's men measure and put up the signs for overhead clearance.
    The "going in" side of the covering was 11' 9", and so it was marked as such.
    Because of the upward slope of the grade the "leaving out" side of the covering was only 11' 2".

I asked the GC, "won't it be better to mark both sides at the lower measurement????"

He thought I was crazy, and couldn't see the logic in my question.
    :roll:
  • grdad45grdad45 Member Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We have one of those in my town. I'm not sure of the measurement, but every month or so, some driver will tear the top off his trailer. One truck hit it so hard, the railroad was shut down for over a week due to the beams being bent. There are a LOT of signs warning of the danger, so the police are writing tickets to anyone hitting it.
  • WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,813 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What a crap design!

The engineers need to be protecting the users from having to kae the decision if they gave enough clearance.
    Sam06 wrote:
    Nice

There is a bridge in Durham NC that is famous for destroying Trailers and tall vehicles, It has its own web page its called the 11 foot 8 bridge. They have placed warning lights that flash and all kind of signs warning people but they still crash.

Here are some crashes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USu8vT_tfdw
  • aliasalias Member Posts: 366 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's been some 30 odd years since I gave up my commercial (any combination) license. But if memory serves, and unless the law has changed, the legal height limit for non-permit loads is (or was) 11'6". So wouldn't at least the rental truck companies in this video be responsible for renting equipment that wouldn't clear that underpass by 2" instead of hitting sometimes apparently by several inches into the cargo box? One doesn't need a commercial license for a rental truck under 26001 pounds GVW, so should the renter be obligated to get out his ladder and tape measure every time one of these is rented?
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,306 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    alias wrote:
    It's been some 30 odd years since I gave up my commercial (any combination) license. But if memory serves, and unless the law has changed, the legal height limit for non-permit loads is (or was) 11'6". So wouldn't at least the rental truck companies in this video be
    Maximum non permitted height is 14'. At least i n Washington it is.

https://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.44&full=true#46.44.020
  • aliasalias Member Posts: 366 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, my mistake. Upon reflection I seem to remember 13'6" being legal maximum in California back when I was licensed. Sorry. Like I said, it's been some 30 odd years.