In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

UP Big Boy 4014 on the loose - Kimi

iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
edited June 2019 in General Discussion
This restored UP Big Boy is currently on 'tour'. 'They' sure aren't babying it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjoxiR-KmV0

Edit: Here's the schedule.

https://www.up.com/heritage/steam/schedule/index.htm

Comments

• bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,675 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the post. I've always been a fan of trains, particular the 'smokers'. I try to ride them whenever I am somewhere they offer runs on them such as the Durango - Silverton in CO.

Surely in that video though they wouldn't have needed the Diesels for that weight...
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The diesels behind it ruin the whole idea. :(

At the 3 min mark it seems the smoker is just going along for the ride.

That was a small light weight load of cars behind it, would have like to see about 30 cars being pulled along.

Sorry not impressed when the diesels are hooked on with it. :oops:
  • Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I ask my son about the diesel engines . ther along to insure the line stays open if any think happens to the stem engine
    if for any reason the steam engine failed and blocked the tracks it can get real expensive real fast for the RR
    from what I heard if a UPS cargo loaded train is late the RR has to eat the cost of the shipment for the UPS cost
    I am sure more to it but thats why there is a diesel along
  • truthfultruthful Member Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Anybody know if that is the same Big Boy that sat outdoors for years in a park in Cheyenne?
  • Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I was a kid back in '61 and '62 I got to take 2 trips from Knoxville, TN to Washington, DC on a Southern Railway Train. I loved it. It took about 12 hours per trip.

I remember buying a Coke in the dining car for 25 cents in Virginia which was expensive and when I bought one in Tennessee they charged me 25 cents plus a penny tax because Tennessee had tax on food. I didn't like the idea of paying 25 cents for a coke that was only 6 or 7 cents at the time any where else let alone 26 cents for one.

That was the only thing I bought because my aunt had enough fried chicken in her bag on each trip to feed a small army.

That Rat-ah-Tat-Rat-ah-Tat-Rat-ah-Tat sound of the train car rolling on the tracks was hypnotizing. When you open the door to walk to another car it gets louder.
  • montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,893 ******
    edited November -1
  • guns-n-painthorsesguns-n-painthorses Member Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    truthful wrote:
    Anybody know if that is the same Big Boy that sat outdoors for years in a park in Cheyenne?

Nope. This one came from Pomona, CA.
  • guns-n-painthorsesguns-n-painthorses Member Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep, going to ride behind him from Omaha to Boone, Iowa next month. We are in car #1, a dome car, in the dome!

A photo shared by a guy on the FB 4014 group. He gave everyone permission to use this photo anywhere.351292_bf6686520a68661fd350bf924ecbd618.jpg
  • babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep, going to ride behind him from Omaha to Boone, Iowa next month. We are in car #1, a dome car, in the dome!

A photo shared by a guy on the FB 4014 group. He gave everyone permission to use this photo anywhere.

NOW That"s a 4014 making horsepower!!! :D:D:D:D
  • kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you my friend. The wife and I thoroughly enjoyed watching it!!!
    What's next?