In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Ever Buy Furniture Online?

KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2019 in General Discussion
I've been looking at a couple sites, for a replacement Living room furniture set-up. (Sofa/sectional, loveseat.)

Ashley Furniture, Wayfair, several others, etc. etc. (Almost always includes "Free Shipping.")

Have you ever purchased furniture online? Any recommendation's welcomed/appreciated.

Those of you who have Leather sectional sofa's/loveseats, do you find them cold/stiff in the wintertime?

Comments

• Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have leather furniture and its fine in the winter.

I bought a chair online from Costco once, other than that I go to the furniture store. When I retired and did my last move we sold, trashed or gave away all the furniture we had that had been moved all over and got new stuff.
    RLTW

• Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What we've done is go to a furniture store and look at the different brands that we liked and get the serial numbers off of it and then buy it on line. That way you can see it in person before you buy it plus save a bunch. They mark it up 300 percent in furniture stores.

Before computers we used to do the same thing and call different companies in North Carolina and have it shipped to us without having to go to NC to look for furniture.
  • ChrisStreettChrisStreett Member Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I?ve used Wayfair a few times. Customer service and delivery are great. As with anything though, read carefully to be sure of the quality you?re buying.
    "...dying ain't much of a living boy"-Josey Wales
  • TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What Chris said. Most of it comes out of China, and it's crap, at least that's been my experience. That's if it can be delivered in the lame packaging, without being smashed, or holes punched in it. The last "try" was a gun concealment blanket bench. When I sent the 4th one back, I told them to forget it, that they had already wasted more of my time then the damned thing was worth.
  • WearyTravelerWearyTraveler Member Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I?ve got leather couch and chair in my living room. It?s often cold and slippery. Sometimes stiff. Do I like it? Sure. Had I bought cloth it probably would not have lasted this long. I don?t allow pets on it or wear shoes in the house, so maybe cloth would have lasted.

Ms WT bought a couch that I hadn?t tried out. She bought it while I was traveling. I liken this scenario of buying online - not trying before buying... that couch sux. So - buy it before trying it? Nope...
    ”People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    - GEORGE ORWELL -
  • GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,704 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    IMO, DON'T ,,did once and it was not the quality of anything in the store 100 yards from me. I buy from them and quality is superb
  • remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Only once, and that was from Sears. And the brand that I bought was a lazy boy so I knew it was going to be a good quality recliner.
  • BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,275 ******
    edited November -1
    Until I can train (or she'll grow out of it) our newest puppy to quit chewing up our furniture, I will not buy anything new.

Our old couch was near the end of it's life anyway and I nearly replaced it around the time we acquired our little "Lela" (Petite Bassett Griffon Vendeen). Sure glad that I did not!! Within the last 6 months she decimated the 3 couch seat cushions, several pillows, my old rocker glider chair, an area rug, 2 doggie beds, and I'm sure something I have forgotten. Oh yea, shoes and slippers!

I have spent a bunch just keeping her in chew toys. Her need to chew things is insatiable! Good thing she is very cute and lovable and has gotten caught up in both my wife's and my heart-strings.

I did do a lot of online furniture snooping several months ago, and ever since I keep getting those pop up adds everywhere I go on the internet!
  • SW0320SW0320 Member Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,527 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    SW0320 wrote:

Curious if you read that article?
    I did and would gladly support Wayfair's management team based on that article.
  • KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Brookwood wrote:
    Until I can train (or she'll grow out of it) our newest puppy to quit chewing up our furniture, I will not buy anything new.

Our old couch was near the end of it's life anyway and I nearly replaced it around the time we acquired our little "Lela" (Petite Bassett Griffon Vendeen). Sure glad that I did not!! Within the last 6 months she decimated the 3 couch seat cushions, several pillows, my old rocker glider chair, an area rug, 2 doggie beds, and I'm sure something I have forgotten.

That is what pretty much happened to my stuff. It was fairly old, and bought secondhand to begin with. When I got Buddy a couple years ago from the rescue, he was apprx. 9 mo. old.

I tried to give him the run of the house while I was at work, for the first month or so. He had seperation anxiety issues/boredom etc. It did not work out very well, until I started caging/crating him. All good now.

He did a number on my furniture. :o
    edited November -1
    Brookwood wrote:

I did do a lot of online furniture snooping several months ago, and ever since I keep getting those pop up adds everywhere I go on the internet!

Precisely why I did not share my E-mail address with any of these companies. ;)
  • RIA10MMRIA10MM Member Posts: 226 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We spent 3K last month with Ashley?s furniture and can safely say we would give them 1 star out of 5. Never again.
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******
    edited November -1
    No. I like my furniture pre-assembled.
    Most of our hard furniture came from a local independent who sells Amish furniture. Solid oak.
    There is an independent furniture store near Hillsville, Va. that has a huge selection of sofas and easy chairs.
    Our next furniture will come from there. High quality stuff.
    Chinese furniture put a lot of people in Southwest Virginia out of work.
  • SW0320SW0320 Member Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    drobs wrote:
    SW0320 wrote:

Curious if you read that article?
    I did and would gladly support Wayfair's management team based on that article.

I read the article. Management made a statement about sales. However they did not say if these employees were fired, lockec out or any discipline.

So please make your comments more on point.
    edited November -1
    RIA10MM wrote:
    We spent 3K last month with Ashley?s furniture and can safely say we would give them 1 star out of 5. Never again.

I have a Buddy at work that would pretty much echo that statement.

Made me very leery of them, talking to him every few days, about their F ups related to his furniture delivery/order.
    edited November -1
    jimdeere wrote:
    Most of our hard furniture came from a local independent who sells Amish furniture. Solid oak.
    There is an independent furniture store near Hillsville, Va. that has a huge selection of sofas and easy chairs.

Good point Jim.

Care to share the name of the place?
  • bustedkneebustedknee Member Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    CraigsList -- multiple times.
    Quality furniture at much reduced prices.

We have a nice (high quality) leather couch and chair. Real leather seems to adjust itself to body temp very quickly. I am surprised how comfortable it is.
    I can't believe they misspelled "Pork and Beans!"
  • SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can get cinder blocks and 1x at the local lumber yard.
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******
    edited November -1
    jimdeere wrote:

Good point Jim.

Care to share the name of the place?
    Sunny side Store, 2.6 mi. south of Hillsville, Va. on US 52.
    https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/sunny-side-store-hillsville
  • BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,275 ******
    edited November -1
    Furniture manufacturing was what kept most folks working in the Galax\Hillsville area of SW Virginia back around 2001 when I bought a home in Woodlawn. I bought some nice local made stuff there when I lived there. The first queen sized sofa bed that was actually very comfortable to sleep in and to sit on as a couch! I have not been back to that area for a long time and hope the Chinese have not put those nice folks out of work!
  • kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We have all leather in the living room, but I like high quality fabric finish far better than leather.
    What's next?