In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

I Cry Every Single Time -

KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
edited July 2019 in General Discussion
(And) I am not ashamed to admit it.

At the end of "Saving Private Ryan," at the graveyard scene, with the family.

Tears me up, every single time.

Comments

• BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,275 ******
    edited November -1
    Me too! The older I get, I find myself tearing up after watching a lot of movies these days!

If I get caught, I blame it on my allergies.
  • Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You might want to have your doctor check your testosterone level next time you have you blood work done. As men age it gets lower.
  • Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never seen it. Never seen a star wars movie either.
    edited November -1
    You might want to have your doctor check your testosterone level next time you have you blood work done. As men age it gets lower.

Hell Smitty! As long as I can watch my reruns of Tim Allen and Tool Time, I don't need or worry about no stink'n testosterone! Hooo Hoo :lol:
    edited November -1
    I did some thinking after my last post. About 4 months ago, my wife bought a 6 months supply of "Women's One A Day" vitamins. The chewable kind. She found that she had a hard time chewing them with her store bought teeth and was going to throw them away.

I looked at the price tag on the bottle and told her.....nooooooo!

I still have about 2 more months worth and hopefully will regress from my feminine ways when they are gone.

I kind of like these "man boobs" though! Pretty soft and squishy! :lol:
  • 35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Same here, Ken.
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Tell me I have been a good Man."

Breaks me up every single time.
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******
    edited November -1
    After the 15th time, I just get a lump in my throat.
  • SW0320SW0320 Member Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Same here Ken.

I have been to the beaches and cemetery in Normandy. The scene reminds of what I saw which is row after row of crosses and I think of the men, who never got the opportunity to live their lives.

In my opinion if you don?t get choked up or end up crying when you see the cemetery then you have lost some of your humanity.
  • babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

REAL men cry.

When we cry, that's the EXTRA testosterone leaving our bodies.
    edited November -1
    Crying was a bigger thing when I was a kid going to grade school in the 50s it's something you didn't ever want to be seen doing. That's something only the girls did. I started school in 1955 and I never cried no matter how bad I got hurt all the way though school. To cry would have been something the guys would never let you forget. You were scorn a cry baby if you did. We all lived in one small community and you did not want to be labeled a cry baby or a chicken. You fought no matter if you knew you were going to be killed. It would be better to be killed than to run that's just the way it was.
  • JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,147 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There's a reason I haven't been to "The Wall", not sure I could suck it up and fear I might embarrass myself. :cry:

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,119 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Junkballer wrote:
    There's a reason I haven't been to "The Wall", not sure I could suck it up and fear I might embarrass myself. :cry:

agree with you 100%.......wish I could bring myself to do it also
  • Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,176 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Years ago Dad told me that he would get emotional a lot easier than he used to. The one movie that really got to him was the one about the guy that built the baseball field in his cornfield in Iowa, I can't remember the name of it offhand.

It just came to me, Field of Dreams.

Fast forward and I'm getting the same way, and it gets worse as I get older.

The Wall and also Gettysburg cemetery both got to me back when I was in my late 20's. I don't think I could go to either one now.
  • Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If I was your Dad I would tell you to dry it up or go put a dress on

:lol::lol:
    RLTW

• Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    edited November -1
    What's it about?
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sam06 wrote:
    If I was your Dad I would tell you to dry it up or go put a dress on

:lol::lol:

:) Thinking 4th grade when a kid and my cousin decided to beat on me on the bus. Came home crying. Dad made it very clear what to do. Next night I told the bus driver they had better leave me alone. He laughed. He also didn't stop the bus when I went off on both of them. My cousin got my lunch box up side his head. His buddy was in the aisle with my foot on his face. Cousin never spoke to me again.
    edited November -1
    What's it about?

If you have honestly never seen "Saving Private Ryan," that is your loss.

One of the top ten movies ever made, in my humble opinion.

Those who have seen it would agree with me, I would wager.

One of those movies I can/will watch every single time it comes on.
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Only scene that got me was the German on the steps slowly inserting the knife.
  • shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The end of Only the Brave tears me up everytime.
    edited November -1
    Only scene that got me was the German on the steps slowly inserting the knife.

I'd agree with that. That is a very disturbing scene. Especially given the fact, they had let that guy go earlier in the movie, after most were in favor of shooting him. That is really the only scene where I honestly get upset at Opehn. (Sp?) He should have shot his *, coming down the stairs. He redeems himself at the end when he shoots the turd.

Those who have not seen this movie, are missing one of the top ten movies ever made, in my humble opinion.
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,675 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For me, it is never the sad parts of movies. It is the 'respect' parts. Like the end of American Sniper. Not him getting killed, but the miles of people lined up along the funeral route. Or, the movie 8 Seconds when the guy stayed on the bull riding way past the required 8 seconds.
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
    edited November -1
    For me, it is never the sad parts of movies. It is the 'respect' parts. Like the end of American Sniper. Not him getting killed, but the miles of people lined up along the funeral route. Or, the movie 8 Seconds when the guy stayed on the bull riding way past the required 8 seconds.

I would agree with that, as well.

The part that got me, (as you.) Was the miles upon miles of ordinary civilian's showing respect, and the Flag.

(We are on the same page.)
    edited November -1
    What's it about?

Ok. But what is it about?
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
    edited November -1
    What's it about?

Google it or not. (I do not care either way.)

If you are completely ignorant as to what "Saving Private Ryan," is about, I can not help you.

I believe you are being facetious, by the way. (You are a pretty intelligent guy [in general] Mr. Perfect.)
    edited November -1

If you are completely ignorant as to what "Saving Private Ryan," is about, I can not help you.

I believe you are being facetious, by the way. (You are a pretty intelligent guy [in general] Mr. Perfect.)
    Seemed to be a favorite of yours. Thought you might want to share. Ok, whatever. I'm happy to google. And yes I've heard of the movie. Never seen it or heard what the plot/story was about.
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
    edited November -1

Seemed to be a favorite of yours. Thought you might want to share. Ok, whatever. I'm happy to google. And yes I've heard of the movie. Never seen it or heard what the plot/story was about.

It's about Saving this Private, named Ryan.

You should see it. It is really good. One of the top ten movies ever produced, in my humble opinion.

Do yourself a favor and watch it.

Thank me later.
  • iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OTOH some see it as another of Steven Spielberg's revisionist history fables.

Imagine what it took to be a Ranger during WW2 (heck, imagine what it takes to be a Ranger today). Then imagine battle hardened Rangers whining and crying about going on a mission (of any kind. And yes, I've heard the adage about if the troops are kvetching, 'things' are AOK). Then stretch your imagination to see those same Rangers disobey a direct order from their commanding officer to the point that the Senior NCO had to pull his side arm and threaten to shoot them!

IMO it doesn't get much better.

In the end, there's a final scene between a WW2 Vet (no spoiler) and his wife. Oddly enough, the wife offers absolutely NO support for her husband when he needs it. (but what does one expect to come out of hollywierd?)

Oh, yeah, it's a real tear jerker.
    edited November -1
    iceracerx wrote:
    OTOH some see it as another of Steven Spielberg's revisionist history fables.

Imagine what it took to be a Ranger during WW2 (heck, imagine what it takes to be a Ranger today). Then imagine battle hardened Rangers whining and crying about going on a mission (of any kind. And yes, I've heard the adage about if the troops are kvetching, 'things' are AOK). Then stretch your imagination to see those same Rangers disobey a direct order from their commanding officer to the point that the Senior NCO had to pull his side arm and threaten to shoot them!

IMO it doesn't get much better.

In the end, there's a final scene between a WW2 Vet (no spoiler) and his wife. Oddly enough, the wife offers absolutely NO support for her husband when he needs it. (but what does one expect to come out of hollywierd?)

Oh, yeah, it's a real tear jerker.

Thank you for your observations Sir.

(I thought the same thing during the insubordination/refusing to follow an order, scene.)

That movie, is an absolute "Must See." for those who have not.
  • pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never had a chance to visit The Wall in Washington . I have had the chance to see the traveling version a few years ago . If seeing that , and the reaction of the vets to seeing their friends names does not bring a tear to your eye , well then Sir, there is something wrong with your heart. And for the record , although of age I never served . Deaf men don?t last long in the jungle.
    cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
    edited November -1
    pulsarnc wrote:
    Deaf men don?t last long in the jungle.

But they do seem to do very well in politics, especially in Congress.
    edited November -1
    Anyone who ascribes to thinking that "War is Glorious," or something to wish to get involved in, need only watch the first 10-15 minutes, with the Beach landing, at D-Day.

No Thank You.

A Very Sobering account of what it must have been like. Absolutely Terrifying.

If you can watch that, and not come away moved, there is something wrong with you. (The same can be said for the final scene at the Graveyard, with the Family.

Heart wrenching. Tears me up.
  • pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Smitty500 you can be my campaign manager in my run for the senate
    cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
    edited November -1
    Another movie that was made during WWII based on a true story, was IMO a premise to the fictional story line of Saving Private Ryan.

"The Fighting Sullivan's" about 5 brothers all killed together on the same ship during the war. The impact of this tragedy changed the rules about family members serving together in combat situations.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0037323/?ref_=nv_sr_1?ref_=nv_sr_1
  • babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "In the end, there's a final scene between a WW2 Vet (no spoiler) and his wife. Oddly enough, the wife offers absolutely NO support for her husband when he needs it. (but what does one expect to come out of hollywierd?)

Oh, yeah, it's a real tear jerker.""

Spoiler...

To really understand that ending, you have to go back to when Tom Hanks is dying and he whispers some thing in the ear of Ryan.
    Which we don't hear.
    Tom tells Ryan to "be a good man", as Tom dies.

That's why the older Ryan asks his wife, tell me I'm a good man".