In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

recommendations for trigger for Rem 700 for a hunter

steve45steve45 Member Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭
edited August 2019 in Ask the Experts
Hello, Im going to buy an aftermarket trigger for my Remington 700 rifle. Im not up on the latest and greatest so was looking for some recommendations. Thanks, Steve G

Comments

• TANK78ZTANK78Z Member Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Timney makes a drop in trigger model 512 for the Rem. 700, on their website you can choose finish-- pull weight and such, $175.00
    or you can find them at a small discount elsewhere on line. Either way it is a moderately priced excellent trigger, I have one on my Rem 700 sps, easy install , mine IIRC is a 2lb trigger, crisp fast release, really made a great difference over OEM.
  • steve45steve45 Member Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks. Timneys been around forever they must be doing something right
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Timney 517 is $132 on flea bay.

One day I will finish my off hand rifle. It is a Newton rifle with the nicest double set triggers I have ever used.

This one looks interesting if you like and use light triggers.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1006420827/jewell-rifle-trigger-remington-700-40x-with-safety-1-1-2-oz-to-3-lb-stainless-steel
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Triggers have finally reached a plateau as far as cost vs technology is concerned. All of the manufacturers have converted over to automated CNC production so the human cost is substantially reduced. But, the technology in the form of CNC machines and programmers, has loaded the front end of the costs while litigation has loaded the back end of the costs. What was once a decent profit center at $50 - $75 retail for each trigger has now exploded from $150 to the absolute ridiculous $400.00 each trigger.

Bix'n Andy (Austria) was the first to blow through the $400/trigger mark and still sold out in the first month. Now we have Flavio Fare' (Italy) with the $400.00 benchrest trigger without safety or bolt stop.

What should an everyday hunter/shooter look for?

You're not going to find much under $100.00 these days unless it's clearance or closeout. But my first choice for reliability and quality production is TriggerTech. Their Friction Release Technology makes for a dependable, rugged trigger at a price comparable to the market. They have triggers for bolt actions, gas guns and now crossbows.

The CMC mentioned above is new to the market and still needs some shaking out in the field and the price is still over what it should be. But you can blame the lawyers and bean counters for this.

Best.
  • rufesnowrufesnow Member Posts: 241
    edited November -1
    When I was in the business years ago. Most of the folks I dealt with, were hunters rather than target shooters. All seemed to me, to be looking for the proverbial, "magic bullet". Back than, it was scopes mostly. There wasn't a lot of the, "gee whiz" aftermarket stuff, around like now.

I always though it would be better. If they used the money to buy ammo for practice shooting. Some would put hundreds, in high dollar scopes. But only buy one box of ammo. Than have me mount the scope, without even bother zeroing it in.

Don't mean to criticize you. But if your just going to use it, for general hunting purposes. Rather than long range varminting. I would use the money for practice ammo. Instead of a big buck, aftermarket $$ trigger.
  • toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How old is the 700 that you want to replace the trigger for?
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,675 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd check the serial number of the gun to make sure it isn't on the trigger recall list. If it is, send it in for replacement. If not, a decent gun smith can do a trigger job for half what a replacement would cost. I have shown countless people the factory Rem 700 triggers after a good trigger job. They compared them to several brands of aftermarket triggers I had on other rifles. Almost always they thought the tuned factory triggers felt better.
    If you do have a trigger job, or buy an adjustable trigger, just keep in mind how you are going to use the rifle. For instance, I have a heavier trigger on my winter big game gun than I do my ultra-light pull of my target only gun. My summer varmint rifles are in the middle.
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree whole heartedly with Nononsense. There are so many different good choices out there, and at so many price ranges.

Jewel is my favorite, and Timney works well too. I have not tried the trigger tech as of yet. However there is absolutely nothing wrong with a good pre "X-Mark Pro" Remington 700 trigger. They can be adjusted by a COMPETANT gunsmith, to give minimal sear engagement, and over travel, at a decent pull weight. However, even those are getting fairly pricey today.

I got a Bergara B-14 HMR last fall, and dropped in the Timney version. It does very well for its intended use. Not like a Jewel, but not priced like one either.

TSR
  • steve45steve45 Member Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks everyone for the help. I ended up getting a Timney std trigger. Its amazing. My factory trigger was worked over by two gunsmiths but the pull weight just wasn't consistent.
This discussion has been closed.