In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Smith & Wesson Model K-38

F7sonF7son Member Posts: 57 ✭✭
edited August 2019 in Ask the Experts
Can The Smith & Wesson Model K-38 Target Masterpiece Revolver Model 14 use 38 special + p AMMO SAFELY. TIA

Comments

• Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If in good condition then yes.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For a while, not my first choice.
  • Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I spoke with a S&W representative once about 38 +P ammo. He explained it like this: you can load a ton of sand on a 1/2 ton truck and it's not going to break down that day. If you haul a ton of sand every day your truck is going to wear out a lot sooner than if you stayed within the load limits.

You can safely shoot +P in a K-frame but they last longer with standard ammo.
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • F7sonF7son Member Posts: 57 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank's for the reply's
  • 62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The K frame is used on the Model 19 .357 Magnum and will survive if it is NOT fed a steady diet of full-house magnums. I carried mine for duty for five years. Our service load for most of that time was the 110 grain Winchester .357 JHP. We cycled our duty issue every six months and fired the 18 rounds at that time. When I retired it a small flame cut was showing above the forcing cone in the top strap - I did fire quite a few more .357 rounds though mine as I was the range master and routinely tested new loadings as they came out. That being said, the K-38 should be capable of dealing with occasional +p loads with no difficulty as long as the pistol is in good condition.
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The early K-frames can handle +P, but as has been said, will need to be refurbished, sooner rather than later.

The Model 19, and 66 K-Frame 357's problem was not the flame cutting of the top strap, but the impact energy of the lighter bullets at a higher rate of speed, hitting, and eventually splitting the thin walled forcing cones. Not many advances have been made in today's K-Frames, perhaps slightly larger barrel tennons, but S&W does not recommend a steady diet of anything under 140 grain rounds, just for this reason.

Best
  • bearman49709bearman49709 Member Posts: 503
    edited November -1
    S&W said any gun with a model number is safe for +P ammo.
    The new 19's and 66's have a full forcing cone and can fire all the light 110gr and 125gr .357mag's your hand can handle.
  • kissgoodnightkissgoodnight Member Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I began reloading, I loaded heavy. After many shots my K-38 was ruined. I stopped loading +p after that.
  • mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's not uncommon to encounter ammo marked "Ruger" only...

Or Freedom arms or BFR or Bowen...

There is corbon ammo I would not run is most guns.

I use green nail polish to draw attention to .357 handloads that are "carbine" only - use in a handgun is not recommended...

Winchester I believe ran into this issue with the .32-20 wcf cartridge - and you began to see ammo manufacturers produce cases with an "HV" on the headstamp to denote high velocity long gun carbine and rifle only variants...

What are you trying to accomplish - what need is driving your inquiry - or are you simply curious and seeking knowledge???

Mike
  • DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Any concern over +P is based on the fallacy that it is a hot load. It is not. It's not loaded to pressures beyond recommended for the caliber. I actually consider it a mild target load in my experience. C'mon, a 125 @ 925 fps. Sound hot to you? A wimp. Shoot all you want in a K38. Your trigger finger will wear out long before the gun does.
    ....................................................................................................
    Too old to live...too young to die...
  • DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ....................................................................................................
    Too old to live...too young to die...
This discussion has been closed.