In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Mark C. or others

babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
edited August 2019 in Ask the Experts
A dear old friend of mine is cleaning out the gun closet and is going to be selling a few guns. He shot at Camp Perry for many years about 1990's to 2005's.
He has this very fine looking M1 Garand he bought from the CMP at matches during 2001.
Has all the paperwork about the sale.
It is according to him a 1955 SA gun. Serial number starts at 538. Gorgeous, no scratches finish on stock and metal. says the only thing NOT matching is the "Fat" H&R front site and gas tube. Everything else is righteous. Great bore, and erosion numbers. {will find the papers with the numbers later}
Looking thru the completed sales here, He thinks $1200 is a okay price to get for it??
I have no time to sell this, so it will go to LF or Mark if he wants it. Pictures coming on Saturday.
Is there anything I should look for on the gun to increase or decrease the anticipated
bids??
Thanks Bob

Comments

• MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    I'm certainly no M-1 expert but a 1955 m-1 would be either a H&R or IHC, Mark C. should be here shortly. ;)
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Have him contact Locust Fork. She gets top $$$ for everything she lists.
  • babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm certainly no M-1 expert but a 1955 m-1 would be either a H&R or IHC, Mark C. should be here shortly. ;)
    The 5831021 number matches a 1955 date of make for SA.
    http://oldguns.net/sn_php/mildateslookup.php

This friend of mine was very big into mil.gun matches years ago, and he still has the mentality of buying the best of what is for sale at the time. So I know this gun should be
    a gem to M1 collectors. He has, among others, a 1947 M1 with a Danish {?} barrel that he won his first Perry match with. That gun goes in his coffin with 4 bandoliers of ammo, he jokes. :o

I know very little of the M1 Garands, heck, I know more about Russian arms of that time frame than the American workhorse, M1.