In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

700 dom and history help please....

toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2019 in Ask the Experts
Trying to help a good friend liquidate an estate of a local gun collector. I decided that since I'm not an FFL, and there are about 50 guns left to sell I am just going to help ship them off to Kasey and let her work her magic. One of the first one's going down there is a pretty special piece IMO. It's a Remington 700 BDL Varmint first year production in 220 Swift. The gun is new and un fired in the original box with the words "first production" stamped on the box end and on the left side of the barrel. The serial number is C6733704, and I can't see anything that looks like a date code on it. From the limited amount of info I can find on it it looks to have been made between 62 and 64, but I could be way off since there doesn't seem to be much on these. Any help as to a dom and amount of these produced in Swift would be greatly appreciated. Hoping to get as much as we can out of these since all of the money goes to a local charity... TIA!

Todd

edit: So I put a magnifier on a magnifier and it looks like maybe a small half stamped date code of "OM", or possibly July '92. However, other than a classic version 700, I really have no idea as to how many of, or when these things were made..

Comments

• GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,704 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's a Remington 700 Classic (Limited Edition ) that was offered as you surmised in 1992 . That was the year the 220 Swift was offered. Remington offered various calibers for each year from 1981 -2005 and the Swifts year was 1992.
  • toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's a Remington 700 Classic (Limited Edition ) that was offered as you surmised in 1992 . That was the year the 220 Swift was offered. Remington offered various calibers for each year from 1981 -2005 and the Swifts year was 1992.

It's not a classic. Box end has it as a BDL varmint, and it has the for end cap. Same as the one below:

https://www.gunsamerica.com/Listings/ItemDescriptionPage.aspx?ListingID=916847604
    edited November -1
    hmm, that's the thing with those Remington dates. Well, tried to help but with that barrel date is seems you are on the nose with 1992 but ?
    edited November -1
    Thanks for trying grasshopper, but the info on that other listing kinda contradicts what the barrel markings are. Just trying to do a bit of homework before I ship them off to LF. Remington is slooow in getting back to me.
    edited November -1
    toad67 wrote:
    Thanks for trying grasshopper, but the info on that other listing kinda contradicts what the barrel markings are. Just trying to do a bit of homework before I ship them off to LF. Remington is slooow in getting back to me.

Remington and I are still waiting for an answer for about two years,and I forget now but they never contacted me on two things. Good luck with their customer service. :?
  • AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your friend's rifle was made in 1992 as Grasshopper indicated. Bob Milek did a review on that rifle and it was published in the Sept., 1992 issue of Guns & Ammo. For some reason I saved the article (probably because I bought the custom classic .220 Swift that year) and was able to find it! The rifle was made as a limited edition for AcuSport Corp. of Bellefontaine, Ohio and shipping started in late August of 1992. It sold for $569 and production was limited to 1,000 rifles. Per Milek, the markings on the box and the rifle barrel are as you describe.
    edited November -1
    Ambrose wrote:
    Your friend's rifle was made in 1992 as Grasshopper indicated. Bob Milek did a review on that rifle and it was published in the Sept., 1992 issue of Guns & Ammo. For some reason I saved the article (probably because I bought the custom classic .220 Swift that year) and was able to find it! The rifle was made as a limited edition for AcuSport Corp. of Bellefontaine, Ohio and shipping started in late August of 1992. It sold for $569 and production was limited to 1,000 rifles. Per Milek, the markings on the box and the rifle barrel are as you describe.

Many thanks Ambrose, many thanks!!!
    edited November -1
    toad67 wrote:
    Ambrose wrote:

Many thanks Ambrose, many thanks!!! And a good tip of the hat to you grasshopper as well..!!