In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

What do you feel will happen?

medic07medic07 Member Posts: 5,222 ✭✭✭
Having had three mass shootings in a week, I feel that we (law abiding gun owners) will be the ones paying the penalty for these acts.

We are getting older and are being outnumbered by the younger citizens who have zero interest in guns (or anything outdoors) and live their lives entirely in the digital world. They could not care less about the 2A and do not understand why it was enumerated in the Constitution.

Here is my gut feeling at this point:

1. At a minimum there will be a magazine ban on anything over 10 rounds. This may come via Congress or it could come from a Trump Exec Order much like the bump stock.

2. There will be a renewed push for an "Assault Weapons Ban" that will not have a sunset clause in it this time. It is possible this could pass before election time if they sway enough Republicans to their side (and that is possible). I believe Trump would sign it as they would use it against him in 2020 if he did not.

3. If there is no legislation prior to the election cycle next spring, you can guarantee this will be the pivotal topic of the race. The left has a great track record of motivating their base to get out and vote. As I stated above, we are being outnumbered at a fast pace.

What are your thoughts?

Comments

• Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My thoughts largely mimic yours,....not much else to say.

I'm not one for placing blame, other than on the sick individual that commits the crime, but IF one wishes to place blame on an inanimate object (firearm), equal...if not greater blame should be placed upon the 'news media' for granting these sickos days/weeks of publicity, and notoriety. I also think there should be an equal helping thrown at Hollywood's culture of violence, as well as the video game industry.

It's always a rush to blame the tool. An object that can't harm anyone without a psychopath behind it.
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,307 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    medic07 wrote:
    Having had three mass shootings in a week, I feel that we (law abiding gun owners) will be the ones paying the penalty for these acts.

What are your thoughts?

Hopefully There enough "Americans" left who are damn tired of "paying the penality" and will finally do something about it. Like should have been done 35-40 years ago.
  • medic07medic07 Member Posts: 5,222 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    HPD, I wish that was the case. Hell even in Texas we almost had Beto win the election. I seriously believe that we are outnumbered.

There are an estimated 300+ million firearms owned in America.
    Many of those are multiple firearms owned by one person and even some gun owners are ok with bans (who needs a magazine fed rifle to hunt deer or all you need is a revolver for self defense).

My argument to people who say we need to remove ARs and limit magazine capacity to 10 for pistols is simply this. If that is what is implemented on me the average citizen, then the police departments need to turn in all their AR style rifles and switch to 10 round mags. Ohhhh...you say they need them because bad guys don't obey the laws and they need to defend themselves. Hey jack wagon...I need to defend me and mine because help may be just a phone call away but it takes 10 minutes or more to get there.
  • ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,646 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    At the minimum we will probably get Federal Red Flag laws. Worst case we?re getting AWB 94 on steroids with no sunset.
  • Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,460 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Trump will do what he thinks he needs to do to get re-elected.

It is not nothing, but he cannot go too far or he will begin to lose his base.

My guess would be support for universal background checks at a minimum. Have not heard if either of these last two whack-jobs purchased their firearms using an FFL, but the UBC would have not kept the gun out of the hands of previous whack-jobs, and odds are these two are no different.

There will be something else, but I do not believe Trump or the Senate would put through an AWB. If, however, the winds change and the support for an AWB goes over 60%, there is a chance one will be signed.

Oh, and what will happen? Nothing. Neither of these actions will change a thing, other than to intrude upon the freedom of the individual American.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think our republic as we know it will change and one side will rebel because of it.The left will always use compassion to allow unbridled illegal immigration here.As far as what this is all about then it's population explosions leaving their third world poverty and coming to greener pastures here
    until they consume so much we become a third world nation also.

Anywho resist will be called a racist until the left takes over and declares a national emergency when they cannot contain the demands of their new citizens who will not accept population control and overrun the system.This will allow the government to instill A.I. with G-5 technology into a totalitarian transhumanism police state. ie NWO. There will be no firearms ownership for any private citizen. Only government entities like in Red China.

serf
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Red Flag laws. The door is creeping open.
  • Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,460 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

The door has been wide open since 1934. People are just becoming more comfortable walking through it.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

The door has been wide open since 1934. People are just becoming more comfortable walking through it.

We shall see if the nutcases for the red door.. will hold a long time record of not committing a crime in the future.
  • serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It will be more than just red flag gun laws.The First Amendment will be curtailed and let's say you believe 9/11 was a inside job by whoever or that JFk was killed by the mafia then your website and with all communication on the internet will be taken away. Firearms are the first to be taken, however.

Of course, it will be new people with new thoughts that will be saying A.I. is the new the entity that we should honor by giving all powers and decisions to control mankind's society by those who controls it's reins then they will be welcome as sane educated rational thinkers in the future where no other shall dare to challenge their all-powerful presence. The ballot box will be irreverent just Like in Red China now.

serf
  • spotty bobekspotty bobek Member Posts: 219 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    No I will not comply.
  • Quick&DeadQuick&Dead Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Clearly, people that do these acts are mentally deranged and should be institutionalized.

The government, in their infinate wisdom, removed and closed many mental institutions decades ago and turned the loonies out into the public. Their breeding and severe lack of moral compass by many these days has created this problem. Just tossing them in jail with other criminals does not solve anything. Eventually, they are released back into the public more loony than ever.

That situation must be corrected or there will only be more and more such instances.
    The government has no rights. Only the people have rights which empowers the government.
    We have enough gun laws, what we need is IDIOT control.
    Blood makes you related. Loyalty makes you family.

I thought getting old would take longer. :shock:
  • wifetrainedwifetrained Member Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know, maybe I'm not looking at this right but it seems to me that there has been too many shootings here lately in too short of time for it be, in my opinion, simply random acts of violence by deranged individuals. Something's not right.
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    hollyweird kills more in a day of tv and movies that any one shooter could do in a year