In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Skiers ?

KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2019 in General Discussion
Anyone ever skied Crested Butte, Co. ?

12,500ft at the top lift. Hike 1/2 hour up and ski the "Banana Couliour." Double Black Diamond.

Sick stuff. Several Extreme Skiing Championships have taken place there. Most are in Chugach, AK.

Gore Mountain, NY. " The Rumor,"

Killington, Mogul field? (Sorry, I am drawing a blank on the name of the run.)

Anyone?

Comments

• SW0320SW0320 Member Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    At Killington I think it is called the Outer Limits. Skied it 40 years ago when I was into skiing with my buddies. Used to ski there some days when wind chill was 40 below. It was brutal going up the chair lift.
  • CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Outer Limits is too steep to groom so it naturally forms those wicked moguls. Have not skied there since late 70 early 80s, but did earn a pin for making it down that run with my ski school class (slowly). First time I went out west, I never went skiing east of the Mississippi again. Big Sky Montana is probably my favorite.
  • Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I haven't skied since I about killed myself on a pair of military surplus skies that I bought at an Army Store when I was a kid back in the early 60s.

A person learning to ski should never get on really high mountains and go straight down the mountain on skies. You can reach amazingly high speeds going straight down an icy mountain slope. You can even gain speed when you fall down on really high icy mountain slopes. No matter how clear it may look there's gonna be a tree some where.
  • mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No double black diamond slopes...

More like double soft fluffy bunny slopes.

Besides the women folk are all covered up with bulky layers of clothing...

Vacation spots should avail you of bikinis and yoga pants and fabletics...

Mike
  • KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    SW0320 wrote:
    At Killington I think it is called the Outer Limits. Skied it 40 years ago when I was into skiing with my buddies. Used to ski there some days when wind chill was 40 below. It was brutal going up the chair lift.

Yep, thats it.

Thanks - I was drawing a blank.
  • BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,280 ******
    edited November -1
    I grew up in a northern Michigan ski resort town. Was too poor to afford the high prices for passes.

There were several "clique's" in high school;
    Rich ski bums
    semi well to do snow mobile bums
    Athletic Sports bums of various means
    Greaser's which were mostly car bums of various means
    Geeks of various means

And then there was me. A rebel who bucked the system with his hand me down pair of ice skates who learned to fly on frozen lakes! :D
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In my younger years, but that was a while back, I skied both down hill and cross country. These days I sometimes watch the winter Olympics...
    edited September 2019
    Was a long time (23-25 years) Manager at one of the largest Outdoor Adventure Companies in the
    Country. Side benefit was that Managers and our Ski dept. guys could ski free just about anywhere on the East Coast.

We posted Ski Reports (conditions/snow reports,) and featured brochures on pretty much any place you could imagine. That is what got us free skiing. Quid Pro Quo.

I skied my brains out for years and years. Only cost? Travel time/expenditures and eats. Talk about a sweet benefit. :D

Have not been in years. I miss it.
  • mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tenth mountain or the devils brigade - not death from above but death from upslope...

Special light infantry on ski's with maybe some light belt fed SAWS and a Carl Gustav 84mm RR as heavies combined with the M203s and some disposable ord...

Mike
  • pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,217 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fell down and broke my arm second time I tried roller skates, damn near drowned first time trying to water ski . Decided God did not mean for me to do that crap . Never tried the snow stuff and ain?t going to . That said the folks that are good at it are amazing to watch . But! I still remember the opening shot of the ski jumper on the Wide world of sports showing ?the agony of defeat? tumbling down the mountain ? . Nope not going to even try
    cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Mike
    back about 1981

Your post made me remember a trip I made down to Mt. Ashland in SW Oregon during spring break 1981.
    It was bright sunny that week and pretty warm on the hill so I shed my shirt and was skiing in a pair of Levi's and a cowboy hat. 8-) There were co-eds wearing bikinis, some in short shorts and halter tops, all manner of summer wear. :o It was a great week to be an un-attached 21 year old male!!!
    edited November -1

Mike
    back about 1981

Your post made me remember a trip I made down to Mt. Ashland in SW Oregon during spring break 1981.
    It was bright sunny that week and pretty warm on the hill so I shed my shirt and was skiing in a pair of Levi's and a cowboy hat. 8-) There were co-eds wearing bikinis, some in short shorts and halter tops, all manner of summer wear. :o It was a great week to be an un-attached 21 year old male!!!

Crested Butte used to have "Topless day." Athletic adventuresome Women. Yes indeed a sight to behold. :D (1995'ish, last time I was there.) Just had gotten divorced, decided I needed a trip out West to clear my head, enjoy myself. Stayed at a Ski house on the Mountain, with good friends I used to work with. Most now worked for the Mountain in some regard. (Inside edge.) Knew everyone, Great Parties. I don't think my Ex was too happy. :o (She called while I was out there, in the midst of a great Party at the house I was staying at.) I couldnt really hear her, nor did I want to talk to her. Too bad, so sad. ;)

The whole month of April used to be "No lift ticket charge." A good month to be there. I guess they made their $$ on food, lodging, local economy, promoting the mountain for future business etc.

Flew back East from the rural Gunnison Airport, sitting beside Marianne from Gilligans Island. A total sweetheart. :D
  • NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Flew back East from the rural Gunnison Airport, sitting beside Marianne from Gilligans Island. A total sweetheart.

Was she stoned? :lol:

Used to live for skiing! Even got my picture in Ski magazine once skiing the deep stuff at Alta, Utah. Skied many of the big ones (Alta, Snowbird, Winter Park, Mary Jane, Vail, A-Basin, Copper, Park City, etc.). Always heard Crested Butte had some great snow, but never made it down there during ski season. One of my favorites was Loveland which is one of the highest ski resorts in North America, topping out at over 13,010 (and you can go even higher now on the snow-cats). Loveland was extreme and fun, but the weather was pretty extreme too. Man, it got COLD at Loveland! And, I don't think I was ever there on a day when all the lifts were open due to the wind, but boy did they have snow!

Haven't skied in years now though. Last time I skied was in '95 right before going to SE Asia.
    Come on up, FCD! We got a nice little bunny hill on Anthony that you can get your 'ski legs' back on.
  • wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Skiing is a great sport. The ski bunnies. Yes, skiing with Susie Chap stick at Hunter mountain in NY State. Fun and nice assets. Killington many time a fun mountain. But Stowe was better in Vermont. Liked Steamboat Springs skiing with silver medalist Billy Kidd over other Colorados. Whiteface NY well until they get a new governor. It sucked.
    "What is truth?'
  • asopasop Member Posts: 8,898 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sometime ago ;) wife and I skied most of the popular areas. Taos N.M. was a real adventure for us. When we had kids we visited a place called "Ski-Bruel" in Michigan. Great family place. Our youngest took a 1st in her age group up there. Fun stuff :)