In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Has anyone proven laminated stocks are better?

penguin1penguin1 Member Posts: 97
edited October 2019 in Ask the Experts
Looking for proof not opinions guys.

Thanks

Comments

• bustedkneebustedknee Member Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    I proved synthetic stocks are better.

I moose/caribou/bear hunted Alaska for 35 years. The plain wood stock on my Ruger 77 in 338mag would change point of impact at sight-in about 2 inches between spring and fall hunts.

Moose hunts of 10-days ranged from T-shirt hot to rain for days to deep snow. Point of impact could change up to 6 inches during the hunt. Stocks would swell out 1/8 inch around the recoil pad and grip cap. Imagine the pressure changes on the action and barrel.
    Free floating the barrel helped as did glass-bedding to a lesser degree but ultimately the stock would crack.

I installed one of the early fiber-glass stocks. It was very work intensive back then but worked a miracle. It stayed sighted-in year-round.

I am a true beliver in synthetic stocks esp in crappy weather conditions.

Laminated stocks, layers of wood with the grain laying in different directions with layers of glue all through the wood cannot but help reduce wood swelling/changing pressure points and spliting.

My old partner prefers laminated stocks for more of the traditional look without the problems of straight wood.

I prefer stainless steel guns and quality synthetic stocks for serious hunting or defense.

I don't know what other proof you may be looking for.

About 15 years ago My cousin (funeral last Sunday) painted that fiberglass stock for me. bEXIkYf.jpg
    I can't believe they misspelled "Pork and Beans!"
  • GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,704 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The proof is in the polar pudding.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    I have a custom built P.O. Ackley rifle in 45-350 Rem Mag. It was built on a 600 Rem. I ripped the recoil lug threw the factory Rem laminated stock launching 540 grain bullets. I put 11 music wire hardened steel pins in the stock with lots of Microbed. It seemed to hold but I didn't trust it. I ordered an H-S Precision stock after talking to them. It is blind box magazine with lots of extra glass/Kevlar and resin than normal. It has held everything I can shoot. The rifle is 5.25 # loaded with the sling and full peeps - pleasure to carry. Will make you bleed if you hold it wrong when shooting.

Added I have put 200 rounds out of it in an afternoon many times. Most (sensible) people will only shoot it once. I learned early as a kid to allow recoil to move me, not to try and resist it.
  • rufesnowrufesnow Member Posts: 241
    edited November -1
    I have a custom built P.O. Ackley rifle in 45-350 Rem Mag. It was built on a 600 Rem. I ripped the recoil lug threw the factory Rem laminated stock launching 540 grain bullets. I put 11 music wire hardened steel pins in the stock with lots of Microbed. It seemed to hold but I didn't trust it. I ordered an H-S Precision stock after talking to them. It is blind box magazine with lots of extra glass/Kevlar and resin than normal. It has held everything I can shoot. The rifle is 5.25 # loaded with the sling and full peeps - pleasure to carry. Will make you bleed if you hold it wrong when shooting.

No offense Charlie! But I can't imagine shooting a 5 1/4 lb rifle, shooting a load like that. It gives me flinchitious, just thinking about it. I had one of the Browning M-86, 45-70, repos years back. It must of weighed 9 lbs. But shooting modern smokeless ammo, would make you cry. Because of it's half moon butt plate.
  • TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    penguin1 wrote:
    Looking for proof not opinions guys.

Thanks
    Better than what?
    The Germans proved they were more cost effective, and faster to make. The Russians followed up on that.
  • TANK78ZTANK78Z Member Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    definitely better then delaminated
  • 0rangeD0rangeD Member Posts: 116
    edited November -1
    Define better and what are we determining that they are better than?
  • 35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have proof, but it's only my opinion. :roll:
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • Quick&DeadQuick&Dead Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I thought laminated wood used in many items was used because it has more strength.
    :?:
    The government has no rights. Only the people have rights which empowers the government.
    We have enough gun laws, what we need is IDIOT control.
    Blood makes you related. Loyalty makes you family.

I thought getting old would take longer. :shock:
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Has anyone proven laminated stocks are better?

Not that I'm aware of when compared to composite stocks. I haven't seen any thorough lab-type testing done and released to the general public.

But Tom Manners (Manners Composite Stocks) puts his stocks on up on blocks then parks his truck on them as proof they are stronger than any other stock. Try that with your fiberglass or laminated stocks! :D

Best.
This discussion has been closed.