In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Remington 1100 3" chambered slug gun

SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2019 in Ask the Experts
I have this on the way: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/840396957

It has a 3" chambered Hastings rifled barrel on it. However, If I understand correctly, the receiver isn't a magnum receiver. I'm wondering if I should only use 2 3/4" slugs?

I tried to read up on the matter and am basically finding information that if a regular receiver has a 3" chambered barrel that the only 3" shells you should shoot are steel shot loads. That would be fine if I get a 3" chambered field barrel as the only 3" shot shells I shoot are steel loads.

Wondering if anyone has some insight that would help.

Edit: Babun, I figured if there was a difference in lead vs steel loads it was a pressure difference as the steel loads generally have less payload by weight than a heavy 3" lead load. If that were so then even the steel loads vary in pressures as they vary in velocity, so it didn't makes much sense to me.

Comments

• babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is no difference in a 2 3/4 receiver and a 3 " one.
    The differe4nce is in the ejector and spring. Almost all 870's from the late 1970's on had the 3' parts installed from the factory.
    The type of shot you use has no effect {lead vs. steel}, it's the way the gun handles the longer shells.

The ONLY way to be sure is to try YOUR gun with different length shells.
    {or you can compare ejectors and springs to a known magnum 3" part.
  • BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    3 points-

The barrel has the chamber so pressure shouldn't be an issue.

The barrel has the ports to meter the gas to work the action, so if it is set up for 3" shells the ports are either smaller or has I port instead of 2 so not much extra stress on receiver.

If it was me I would check it with 2 3/4 shells for function and accuracy. I have found the shorter shells can be more accurate and kick a whole lot less. Bob
  • babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    IIRC... the only barrel with limits on loads was the lighter Target barrel.
    The gas meters by bleeding off any extra {heavy loads} after the piston moves it's needed distance.
    There are different action springs out there, but unless you fire a LOT of different loads for a long time, you don't need them.
    ALL 12 gauge loads other than the crazy 3 1/2" shells, have a pressure limit of 11,500 psi.

That's a spit in the bucket among firearm loads. :shock:
  • SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys. As far as the slugs go I have 200 rounds of 2 3/4" 1oz Remington copper solids. So, unless this gun just won't hold a group with them I'm good for quite awhile. I'll probably pick up a shot barrel for it and didn't know if I even need to bother with a 3" chamber, I'll be shooting mostly 2 3/4" ammo anyway. I do occasionally goose or crane hunt when I am in South Dakota pheasant hunting and 3" steel loads are needed for that so it's handy to have one that will handle them. But then again I have a 3.5" chambered Mossberg 935 is I am going to be goose hunting regular.
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I suggest that you buy other barrels for it only if you can try to fit the barrel before you pay for it. Over the past several years, Remington has changed the profile of major parts, & a barrel that should fit may not.

Neal
  • SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    nmyers wrote:
    I suggest that you buy other barrels for it only if you can try to fit the barrel before you pay for it. Over the past several years, Remington has changed the profile of major parts, & a barrel that should fit may not.

Neal

Thanks, I for sure would have bought an 1100 barrel expecting it fit. I'll have to look up when this one was made and do a little more research.