In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Movie Question: "The Green Berets"

nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 35,988 ******
edited November 2019 in US Military Veteran Forum
Yes, it's a movie, but there is a line in it that makes no sense.

Captain Nim states to Mr. Beckworth: "I have VC on my own strike force."

How can that be?

Comments

• GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,704 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Double knot spies I would think.
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 35,988 ******
    edited November -1
    I don't know. Twice Captain Nim identified VC operatives within his ranks, and he eliminated them quickly.
  • BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They all look alike I guess. Oops, I guess that wasn't very PC. Bob
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    "Keep your fiends close...and your enemies closer." If you have enemy agents among your team, use them to your advantage by giving them false information which they will pass on. Sun Tzu, the ancient Chinese military general, strategist and philosopher from the Zhou Dynasty summed it up as "All warfare is based on deception."
  • buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,235 ✭✭✭✭

Green Beret to the SeaBee=Can you walk?

SeaBee to Geen Beret=Stand me up and I can run.

• navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭

I would think that quote means that the VC has infiltrated every level of the South Vietnam government, which they had. Speaking of the movie, at nineteen minutes into the film that is me taxiing the C130 into Danang (really Pope AFB, NC). I was stationed at Charleston AFB, SC and they sent an aircraft up there for the film. I was surprised how old the major actors were. The crew was given Zippo lighters inscribed "The Green Berets" and "Stolen from John Wayne."

• Wild TurkeyWild Turkey Member Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭✭

That line illustrates the problem with the whole "Vietnam War" idea -- we went in with the Western idea of building a government for the good of the people but their whole culture was based on what was best for themselves/their family at the immediate time. With little commitment to the "national government" the local people would "go with the flow" and cooperate with whoever had the big stick at the moment.

This was further exacerbated by the "Fire base" strategy (defending strong points and patrolling around them) instead of a "fixed front" strategy like we used in Korea/WWII/etc when we pushed a line into the enemy territory and sanitized it.

Yeah, even my ROTC instructors knew it was a stupid strategy.