In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

270 Win fired in 7mm magnum

338magnut338magnut Member Posts: 761 ✭✭✭
edited November 2019 in Ask the Experts
Here is one for Ask The Experts my son-in-law yesterday somehow fired a 270 Win. in a 7mm magnum Browning BLR Lightning and now can't open the bolt. It surely swelled the case is why the lever won't open the bolt. Has anyone had this experience and has some info on how to get the bolt open. He tried a brass cleaning rod tapping on it while putting pressure on the lever but wouldn't budge. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think he needs local professional help. Call a local real gunsmith, explain the issue, get an estimate.

Maybe this.
    https://www.midwestgunworks.com/field_service_manual/browning_blr_pre_81_field_service_manual.pdf?
  • pip5255pip5255 Member Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would try moving lever in both direction and may even try to hold pressure on the cleaning rod while trying to open rather then taping with the rod
    just because you could doesn't mean you should
  • HessianHessian Member Posts: 248
    edited November -1
    I've used a freezer and/or Freeze spray to get ruptured cases out of a chamber. If you have a freezer big enough remove the stock and put it in there for a while. Freeze spray is even better.
    Caution.... metal gets brittle at very low temperatures, you may break an extractor if you force it. Don't touch the metal with your bare hands after using Freeze spray, -50F.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One of the guys did this last fall on an elk hunt BUT it was a bolt action and not that hard to resolve.
    You might try holding the rifle muzzle up, putting opening pressure on the lever, and dropping a cleaning rod down the bore. I've seen this "pop" loose stuck cases in bolt, pump, and lever actions.
  • TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've used the freezer method would good success where I've had case head separation with milsurp ammo. That BLR has two two things working against you, the cocking gear, and rotary locking bolt.
    I would freeze it, and do the rod drop as Mobuck suggested, that's another one that works good. Before I did, check that your rod slides easily all the way in to the bolt face, that .270 brass is probably stretched right into the freebore.
    When you do get it out, post a pic of it alongside a good .270 and 7mm mag case.
  • 338magnut338magnut Member Posts: 761 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Info is appreciated now 2 questions what is the need to remove the stock when put in freezer and where can I get freeze spray ?
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The stock takes up a LOT of freezer space. If you expect to do much hammering, you probably should remove the scope too.
  • gnprtsgnprts Member Posts: 345 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Be very careful of the pressure you exert on the lever because the internal timing gear has very fine teeth and will be easy to strip with too much force.
    I just suffered through getting a Browning BLR Lightning in 06 in time after disassembly for cleaning.
  • 338magnut338magnut Member Posts: 761 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All the info from all is greatly appreciated but my son in law headed to the gunsmith today.
  • festusfestus Member Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Done the same thing a few years ago in a remington 700, 7MM Mag. Recoil didn?t seem right and it hit low on the target. Thought something was wrong with the ammo. When I opened the bolt the case didn?t come out. Few light taps with a cleaning rod and out came a deformed 270 case.
This discussion has been closed.