In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

dovetail sight removal/installation???

toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2019 in Ask the Experts
Wanting remove a rear sight on one of my Marlin guns, and install a receiver peep sight. I have never had the need to remove one, only adjust for sighting purposes. I have read that the sights are removed both ways, and on some sights it doesn't even matter. Seems to me that it should matter since the dovetails should have a taper on them to stay tight. Is there a rule of thumb, or a saying that sticks in your head? Does it matter front or rear sights, pistols or rifles? Guess I could order a 3/8" blank and just measure it, but was just wondering. TIA...

Comments

• brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Remove left to right
    Install opposite
  • toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    brier-49 wrote:
    Remove left to right
    Install opposite

Thanks. I was thinking "right in", but then I looked at this website, who sells sights, and it appears to be the opposite..

https://www.revolversupply.com/blog/replacing-front-sights-on-sw-revolvers-can-i-install-a-new-front-sight/

It's on the update part.

Are all dovetails the same, or are handguns different?
  • Bill DeShivsBill DeShivs Member Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dovetails are cut on a milling machine with a dovetail cutter-hence are the same width all the way across.
    Friction is caused by the vertical cuts, not the sides.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some old dovetails were cut with a safe file. They can be tapered slightly. Looking at the sight from the shooting position normal is push it in from the left to right. I have seen them both ways - it pays to be gentle. Then there are ones for like magazine tubes, that are turned in not pushed in from the side.
  • John StimsonJohn Stimson Member Posts: 26
    edited November -1
    Dovetails are cut on a milling machine with a dovetail cutter-hence are the same width all the way across.
    Friction is caused by the vertical cuts, not the sides.

High Standard cut the slides with a straight slot but the dovetail on the sight was tapered and the right end was the narrow end. 0825 per foot
  • castingcasting Member Posts: 110
    edited November -1
    I removed the rear sight on my 1895CB L to R as holding the rifle to fire it. I installed a blank (Weaver I think), R to L. The blank turned out to be too "tall". I had to wrap some good emery cloth around a file and take some metal off the bottom. I didn't expect that. I mounted a Williams 5D sight. I sure wish someone still made blued steel peep sights.
  • castingcasting Member Posts: 110
    edited November -1
    Those Skinner Sights are something I'd go for If I didn't already have the oversize, Black, shiny, clunky looking 5D on it already. Someone posted something about the Skinners a while back. It says they're adjustable for elevation. With a 45/70, I wonder if it has enough. Thanks FM.