In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Remington Model 12 Pump 22

pawnee66pawnee66 Member Posts: 223 ✭✭
edited December 2019 in Ask the Experts
I inherited a Remington Model 12 pump 22 from my brother. It is a parts gun that he was putting together for his grand son. He passed on and I wound up with it intending to finish it and give it to his grandson. I am having 2 problems with it; it won't feed the shell up every time and secondly, the bolt is not locking. If anyone has any experience with these I would certainly appreciate any technical advice you would have.

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The reason they don't make stuff like this anymore is parts need to be hand fitted which costs both time and money. The hardest part is it also requires skill, like a real gunsmith vs. gun assembler.

Maybe 50 years ago I watched a self proclaimed gunsmith take a small brass hammer and pean the rear of the oval slot in the top of the inside of the receiver until the bolt would lock. I think it was worn original parts, not worn replacement parts.

I'd be checking for burrs on the moving parts, weak spring?, loose alignment of the carrier/lifter.

I like my 121, Sis has the 12 - which was my dad's favorite.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/remington/rifles-rem/12

I didn't watch the vid but maybe this guy has something, there are others

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zeVYK1ulIQ

Good luck. Sorry for your loss.
  • Options
    pawnee66pawnee66 Member Posts: 223 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for your reply. I have watched that video. In a parts gun fitting is the secret.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There you go. My last thought is make sure you use good ammo for testing (none of that bulk packed crap). Even good ammo can get beat up after a trip threw the process.
  • Options
    asopasop Member Posts: 8,910 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Charlie-Great advice once again. I have that Remington and I think you're right on.
  • Options
    gnprtsgnprts Member Posts: 345 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    When you solve one problem I think you will see both problems solved because
    part of the lifter/carrier holds the bolt closed.
    I have a Remington 12 I just bought a new lifter for but haven't had time to fit it.
    Hopefully soon and will get back to you.