In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Loading data

XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
Okay, so which one of you "old guys' might still have a Belding and Mull loading pamphlet " ?
Circa 1938 would be about right, at least that is the era that I think mine was from. I'm looking to refresh my
memory for loading "Sharpshooter" or "Lightning" in the 32-40 ctg. Anyone care to dig ?

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From my Ideal #32 maybe 1937

319247 165 gr Sharpshooter 10.0 gr 1400 FPS Estimated
    Jacketed 165 gr Lighting 24.2 gr 2058 FPS Max. Nickel steel barrel only
    319295 170 gr Lighting 21.0 1800 FPS Estimated

Other powders listed HiVel#3, 2400, No.80, No.300, 17 1/2
  • XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ah ha ! I was fairly certain the loading for a 170 gr lead slug was somewhere in the order of 13 to 15 gr of Sharpshooter. I haven't loaded any 32-40 ctgs in about five years and trusting to memory (?) was not the best route to go. This will give me a place to start and work up to a reasonable loading.....and finish of the last of that can of Hercules donuts ! Thanks for the input.
  • Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    XXCross wrote:
    I haven't loaded any 32-40 ctgs in about five years and trusting to memory (?) was not the best route to go.

It will make things a whole lot easier if you keep a notebook listing everything you've loaded over the years such as dates, brand of powder, weight of powder and bullets, brand and type of bullets, brand of primers and cases, and quantities including overall lengths and any other misc. info that may be helpful.

Don't ever load ammo using data that someone posts on the Internet including this forum. People make type-O's all the time.
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It will make things a whole lot easier if you keep a notebook listing everything you've loaded over the years such as dates, brand of powder, weight of powder and bullets, brand and type of bullets, brand of primers and cases, and quantities including overall lengths and any other misc. info that may be helpful.

This is a great suggestion for all of us who reload our ammunition. I have a couple of thousand pages of notes, targets, graphs and charts from nearly every load I've tested. Organized by cartridge then bullet weight, I can usually find a cross reference fairly easy.
    Don't ever load ammo using data that someone posts on the Internet including this forum. People make type-O's all the time.

While I always encourage everyone to check data supplied by others, this admonishment is a just a tad terse. It precludes important guidance information which can be extremely useful, especially when it comes to older, out of date information. There is no reason to condemn ALL data found through the internet, just be careful and cross check the information you receive. If some data seems out of line, ask again to check that source. Exercise careful reloading techniques while utilizing reasonably sourced information.

Best.
  • XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Okay all,
    I hope you noticed that i asked for information from a specific source for the loads I was assembling. Although I did not get the exact information, it was close enough to refresh my memory to the point of allowing me to "assemble" some test loads... which I did. Said loads were taken to the range and tested. Of course I started low and worked up. A nice modest loading was selected and the job is done. Mom didn't raise no fools, and I've been at this ammo game longer than most of you have been alive. Over the past few years I have been clearing out much of the decades worth of accumulated data and the data sheets I kept for ages. I don't really expect to be making much use of them in the future so they are no longer with me. None of the advise listed above is "incorrect", however a liberal application of caution and common sense should always be applied.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭

I like the new forum name, I'm sure Karl is pleased. Thanks for making it happen.

Glad it worked out for you XXCross. I would have preferred to scan/photo the page to provide the data, but I threw my scanner/printer at the ground. My camera work up close isn't all that wonderful and posting pic's here is sometime a challenge. I did triple check that I copied it correctly before hitting enter.

Getting on today was a simple click, SEAMLESS. You folks did a great job - Well Done. Thank you!

It appears much easier to post a pic. 😀