In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

hey knife guys.....

toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2019 in General Discussion
I really like knives, but like the basics. What is going on with this knife? Looks nice enough, but don't understand the blade design.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/850946613

Comments

• mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    So called "tracking" blades are supposed to combine the features of a hunting knife with a hatchet, but of course the end results are inferior to either of the individual tools. The concept is quite old, and one of the few practical examples was the old US Navy Corpsman's Knife, which was suitable for a number of tasks in the field, as well as being a viable weapon. There are many period photos of Marine infantry with Corpsman's knives attached to their web gear.
  • gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have nothing........
    I have no idea what that blade is supposed to be for. I prefer a good old fashioned traditional hunting style blade. A drop point is preferred...........
  • toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have nothing........
    I have no idea what that blade is supposed to be for. I prefer a good old fashioned traditional hunting style blade. A drop point is preferred...........

Or maybe a Puma Bowie for the right price??.. ;)
  • gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    toad67 wrote:
    I have nothing........

Or maybe a Puma Bowie for the right price??.. ;)
    Well............That too.
    Need it back? If not, buy a nice Randall and I'll buy it from you for a song in a couple years!
    Hope you had a good Christmas, my friend.
    Happy New Year!!
  • yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,985 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I remember wanting one of those Tom Brown "Tracker" (as seen in the movie "The Hunted") until I saw one in person. Damn big and confounding of it's purpose. This knife being a play on one (with enough changes as not to get sued) is as useless as the original Tracker. This might have a future as a abalone bar if the blade can be used as a pry bar or a chisel if flat sharpened. Dude would do better making single edge thick smatchet with no saw back. That with an aide of a log will split logs.

That reminds me I got a beavertail bowie (after googling it's a USMC "bolo") that the blade has been belt sanded (poor thing) and the scales broken that needs attention. Since there is no value I'll completely sand then bead blast the blade. Maybe I'll Oxo the blade black/blue? I wonder how thick the G10 scales come these days? This'll have more use than that "Tanto". I need to get on this, too.

Chatillon USMC Bolo knife was a corpsman knife. Didn't know that.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What Mark said. Basically a gimmick to sell knives.
  • bustedkneebustedknee Member Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha....

How much? Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha....
    I can't believe they misspelled "Pork and Beans!"
  • Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    That thing should come with a string to hang it on the wall.