In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Hot Dogs

Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 2020 in General Discussion
What do you put on them?

Me:

Mayo
Mustard
Slaw
Chili
onions
RLTW

Comments

• mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    I had two hotdogs for lunch today with mustard, relish and onions. I like chilidogs with cheese and onions.
  • Aztngundoc22Aztngundoc22 Member Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK :

How bout :

Mustard ,

Chilli ,

Onions ,

Relish ,

Slaw ,

any of the above :

I like hot dogs !

Thanks !!!
    The more people I meet : The more I like my Dog :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I Grew Old Too Fast (And Smart Too damn Slow !!!) !!! :o :?
  • KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    My favorite are Slaw Dogs. Some fine diced onion, and a little mustard.

Second would be just the onion and mustard.

I also like a good chili dog, with onions. (You know, when you make Chili, without beans.) ;)

I also like some slivered Pickled Jalepeno's, onion and mustard on a dog.

Oh Hell. I love em' about any way. (Unless you are talking about putting mayonnaise on a dog, or ketchup - that is just sacrilege.) ;)

I am not opposed to pickle relish either.

Dogs are best, cooked in a cast iron skillet with a small amount of butter. Rolled around repeatedly, browned all around. I have been wanting some, and have some (but) I recently came off a large Crock pot of Chili (with beans.) and currently have a large Crock pot of homemade soup, I'm working on.

Growing up, if on my own - cooking for myself, it was Dogs as my go to favorite. Love em'.

Sabbrett's and Nathan's are the best. (But) I rarely spring for them, because you can spring for a good/decent Steak, for what they run anymore for a package. Whenever I do get some, they are clearly head and shoulders up and beyond the rest. Good stuff.
  • Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    GreatGuns wrote:
    Guess I'm a purist. It's either just mustard, or just relish, but never both. My chili dogs require cheese, onions, so there's my other favorite. Just chili, cheese and onions. ;)

Sam, you do know someone will be along shortly to "profess" what is in hot dogs. :P

Jim

LOL

I only buy good ones.

I like relish but not sweet relish, I like the plain dill relish.

I would say it is sacrilege to put Catsup on a hot dog but I have see folks do it.

For mustard I like the Dijon mustard but plain yellow is fine.

Pickled Red Onions are great but I really like slaw on mine. I have substituted Kimchi for slaw and it is an interesting twist.

You ever had any Carolina Packers Brightleaf Hot Dogs? They are popular here in NC.
    RLTW

• gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I love a great Chicago Hot dog.
    Steamed Poppy Seed bun, onions, green relish, mustard, pickle, celery salt. Yum!
    I also love a great Chili Cheese dog!
    edited November -1
    There is a place here in Raleigh that has good Hotdogs, its called Snoopy's.

The have killer chicken salad and a great fried bologna sandwich.

I love fried Bologna Sandwiches ;)
    RLTW

• Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,130 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Another dog lover here. I'm also a purist. I usually eat two at a meal. Always a line of good ground brown mustard. On one, some dill relish. On the other, pickled jalapeno slices. I also like sauerkraut instead of the relish or jalapeno, as if it were a brat instead of a dog. White bun, not toasted.

Wife buys Hebrew Nationals and I eat them, but I prefer a "snout to tail" pork hot dog to an all-beef. Steamed is okay, but grilled to bursting with a little bit of char on them is heavenly.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,704 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sonic here can load them up and I mean I think they are great and I don't have to mess with cleanup in the kitchen. :)
  • Quick&DeadQuick&Dead Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't much care for stuff all junked up.

Hot Dogs ... add ketchup only.

8-)
    The government has no rights. Only the people have rights which empowers the government.
    We have enough gun laws, what we need is IDIOT control.
    Blood makes you related. Loyalty makes you family.

I thought getting old would take longer. :shock:
    edited November -1
    Damn, I forgot Sauerkraut. (Good sheeit there.)

Kraut dogs! Good stuff.

Just bought a bag of high end. In the refrigerator now, I plan on cooking some Kielbasa next up.
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A little place here does a line of specialty hot dogs (and craft beer.)
    They advertise "Open 365 days a year."
    I found that a smoked slaw dog and a pilsner make a pretty good Christmas dinner. My friends with Chicago dogs, pizza, and beer or cocktail agree. And no dishes to wash.
  • Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sam06 wrote:
    What do you put on them?

Me:

Mayo

Hold it right there partner, put your hands up where we can see'em! Mayo on a hotdog is unAmerican.
    edited November -1
    Killing me.

Jonesing for a couple Dogs, bad now.

What is wrong with you?
  • mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Brown mustard and chopped onions on a toasted bun with a Sabrett or Hebrew National dog

Good eating right there :)

Kraut or Slaw good on occasion no cheese, very rarely relish.

NO DAMN KETCHUP!
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
    edited November -1
    Forgot the Hebrew National's also. Good dogs.

Top 3 - Sabrett's, Nathan's and Hebrew Nationals. Nothing else comes close.

Too bad they cost what a decent steak costs, now days.
  • BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,273 ******
    edited November -1
    Catsup tastes a whole lot better than Ketchup! Of coarse, that's just my honest opinion. :lol:

I also like my dogs dripping with Bushes Best canned pork and beans! On a bun or old school on a slice of bread. Yea! We were too poor to buy real buns but made do with good ole sliced bread.
  • Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,458 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like mine with bacon, lettuce, tomato, avocado and a little mayo on toasted wheat bread, and without the hot dog.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,130 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As coincidence would have it, my wife fixed lunch today with no input from me. Soup and...you guessed it, a hot dog!

Steamed bun, Boar's Head brown mustard, dill relish. I'm guessing it was an all-beef dog but I didn't see the label.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • 338magnut338magnut Member Posts: 761 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I put them on the neighbors dog food plate wouldn't feed them to my own dog. I worked in a meat plant in 64 and made hot dogs haven't ate one since now that's just me each to their own appetite.
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Our kids used to LOVE pigs in a blanket- hotdogs wrapped in refrigerated biscuit dough and baked.

Spicy brown mustard and Vidalia sweet onion relish.
  • hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,119 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    we have a small hole in wall shop in town, still sells hot dogs for about 75cents each. I like the cheap one more than the expensive ones, never really liked the hard skin on a hotdog, who knows what is in these but you can still get 5 with sauce and onions with drink for $5.....
  • Edspdog1Edspdog1 Member Posts: 225
    edited November -1
    Well I guess I am un-American, sacreligious ? not too distant cousin of Daniel Boone.
    Hotdog, split and grilled, mayo on the grilled bun, then dog, then slaw, then the bad stuff, ketsup, yum yum.
    Could have been caused by the lighting strike when I was a mere child.
  • BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Koegel Vienna dogs - For those that can't get these, well I guess it sucks to be you :lol:

Either traditional with mustard, onions, relish, or make it a Kraut dog with mustard.
    Every once in a while Chicago style with the works. This requires a sub bun to hold all the goodies. Bob
  • SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You folks fix them the way you like and I'll help you get rid of them.
  • JIM STARKJIM STARK Member Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Hot Dogs ... add ketchup only."
    2nd NO DAM KETCHUP it belongs on hamburgers...
    JIM......
  • asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mine are a heart attack in the makin'.

Split the dog and onto the griddle, same for the bun.
    Soon as it hits the plate bury with crispy french fries, smother with chili and a healthy amount of chopped onion and hide it all under shredded sharp cheddar cheese. That with a good dark Warstiener, at room temp, and I'll be gassy the rest of the day.
  • Edspdog1Edspdog1 Member Posts: 225
    edited November -1
    For God's sake don't order a hamburger all the way anywhere near Statesville, NC. Bun, burger and nothing but stinking chili, smells like dirty feet.
  • asopasop Member Posts: 8,898 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Poppy seed bun with mustard & relish along with onion-tomato-cucumber and jheaopino (sp?) with celery salt which really make it :)
    edited November -1
    Forgot to mention, the best hot dogs are ALL BEEF.

Stay away from those will pork, fillers, etc. in them. :D
    The government has no rights. Only the people have rights which empowers the government.

• He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The correct answer is catsup, mustard, relish (NOT bread and butter relish), and onions.
    edited November -1
    My favored way to cook a hot dog is on a stick over an open fire. I like them on the dark side! Yum! :P
  • NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,565 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Potato bun and Heinz ketchup... Crap, now I want hot dogs for breakfast. ;)
    edited November -1
    I used to think the people in S.E. Asia really ate some weird stuff but after reading all the above concoctions, eating weird stuff isn't limited to one area.

:lol::lol:

edited November -1
    FCD

I remember the Hot dogs at the Braves Games. They were great! That and the peanuts oh man those were the days.
    RLTW

edited November -1
    Absolutely.

I remember my Dad would get a beer and it came in a Paper cone like thing. After you finished the beer you could cut the bottom out and it was a small mega phone.
    RLTW

• BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here's an old memory (and quick story)...

I remember as a kid going to the old Tiger stadium in Detroit to watch a baseball game, this was back in the late 60's. This was back in the day when they used to have the hot dog guys climbing up and down with their hot dog steamer things strapped to their waists. They'd holler out..."HOT DOGS! GET YOUR HOT DOGS HERE, GET YOUR BALL PARK HOT DOGS HERE, HOT DOGS!!"...as they hiked up and down the aisles. (always thought that would have been a really hard job..hiking up and down the stadium like that with an aluminum chest full of steamy water and a bunch of hot dogs, buns and mustard!)

I remember those hot dogs were the absolute best! You'd be sitting 10 seats in on a row and hold up your hand for a hot dog. You'd pass the money one way, hand to hand, and back the other way came your Ballpark hot dog. They came one way; steamed bun, hot dog and yellow mustard, that was it. The hot dogs probably weren't great, but they sure tasted like the best hot dog I'd ever eaten in that environment. Always felt like I could eat about five of them, but only ever got one at a game.

Been there, done that. Not sure why but the food (dogs, peanuts, even the ice cream cups) always tasted better at the old tiger stadium. Now days it is expensive foo foo type food that they serve and it just ain't as good as the old days. Damn I'm sounding old- Get Off My Lawn!

Oh yeah, I agree about the Kowalski dogs but only buy them when on sale as those suckers are expensive. Dearborn brand is also good but not as easy to find. Bob
    edited November -1
    Been there, done that. Not sure why but the food (dogs, peanuts, even the ice cream cups) always tasted better at the old tiger stadium. Now days it is expensive foo foo type food that they serve and it just ain't as good as the old days. Damn I'm sounding old- Get Off My Lawn!

I am with you Bob!

Here are some of the places to eat at the new Atlanta Braves Stadium(Check out the price :o )

C&P
    Here?s where to find the new SunTrust Park concessions options when you come to visit:

?The Best Darn Steak Sandwich in Baseball ($23). Section 112

?Hey Batter Batter Bird ($18). Section 138

?Southern Smothered Sandwich ($12). Section 145

?Dinger Dog ($11). Section 143

?Chicken and Waffle Boat ($7.50). Section 113

?BLOOPER Burger ($26). Section 113

Chicken and waffle is the cheapest and I wouldn't eat one if you paid me and a $26 hamburger better come with a happy ending.
    RLTW

• He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    JIM STARK wrote:
    "Hot Dogs ... add ketchup only."
    2nd NO DAM KETCHUP it belongs on hamburgers...
    JIM......

Screw that, it belongs on everything! :lol:
    edited November -1
    Ball Park brand hot dogs were very good until the poultry additions came into the picture. I don't care for hot dogs made with bird meat. Only beef & pork in a mix. Natural casings as well and Koegels Vienna's are best now days. I used to enjoy Kowolski's but cannot find them anymore.
  • montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,892 ******
    edited November -1
    Had hot dogs,chili dogs,and krout dogs for supper tonight. Mmmm good.