In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Nice lever gun!

Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2019 in General Discussion
Ricci those Ithaca M72's are sweet 22 lever guns and this one looks almost brand new!

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/851016973
RLTW

Comments

• KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    While that is indeed nice, I would much rather have that Rossi in .45.
  • GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,704 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They are as smooth action as a Win 9422--Had a couple..
  • Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They are as smooth action as a Win 9422--Had a couple..

They are smooth

I think they are what the Henry 22 guns are made after.
    RLTW

• hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,120 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I thought the ithica lever was a single shot???
  • mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The model 49 while designed to externally resemble a lever action carbine repeater with an inline tube magazine - internally it's a single shot pivoting / falling block with a false tube magazine...

Lowering the lever drops the block and exposes the chamber - facilitating loading of cartridges.

It's a simplified basic traditional action design with as few moving parts as possible.

While I own two of them and they make good range day training tools or introductory learning tool for a new youth shooter - fit and finish is often poor (painted metal as an example)

Mike
  • hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,120 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The model 49 while designed to externally resemble a lever action carbine repeater with an inline tube magazine - internally it's a single shot pivoting / falling block with a false tube magazine...

Lowering the lever drops the block and exposes the chamber - facilitating loading of cartridges.

It's a simplified basic traditional action design with as few moving parts as possible.

While I own two of them and they make good range day training tools or introductory learning tool for a new youth shooter - fit and finish is often poor (painted metal as an example)

Mike

those are the ones I remember Mike, especially the painted receivers, they almost allways flaked off........ still draw good money at show around here though.......
  • Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's all true Mike but the rifle I have listed is a model 72 made by Erma Werke. My sister had a fancy model 49 with cherry wood and the receiver nickel plated.
  • Edspdog1Edspdog1 Member Posts: 225
    edited November -1
    Yes to Henry being designed after the 72. I have a 22 and 22 mag version.
  • mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a half dozen single action colt revolver clones - all .22 rimfires made in Germany...

Hawes - Erma werke - etc...

All with faux stag horn grips - some marked as pointer pups.

While they are not Swiss watch level beautiful pieces they all work flawlessly and are well made / no pot metal junk...

I understand that the gun you have listed is a higher grade better made piece than the model 49 by an order of magnitude.

Mike
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Henry bought the Ithaca tooling when they closed and the half round bolt makes for the smoothest action in a lever gun....had an Ithaca lever in 22 magnum like new and traded it for a safe queen HD military 22 like my dad had....still like to have it back....
  • NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    High polished blue steel, nicely fitted and finished wood, a silky smooth action... I suppose it's OK if ya like that sort of thing. ;)
  • Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    These are all steel unlike the Henry with the pot metal receiver and plastic parts.
    RLTW