In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Has anybody seen the movie 1917?

JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
edited December 2019 in General Discussion
I haven?t seen the movie but I?m curious about the promotions and trailers. The promotions and trailers make it very clear that the movie is purely fiction, but based on factual events. That alone is fairly confusing to me.

I?m having a problem trying to think of a scenario where a World War One British Lieutenant Colonel could get himself into such a hell of a fix to begin with, but after I suspend all disbelief and accept that, I?m faced with trying to believe a British Battalion Commander was insane enough to come up with the solution he did.

All the reviewers and movie goers are giving the movie five stars. Best movie since World War One, etc.

Is the movie based on actual events or is it purely fiction? Is this one of those movies where you have to suspend disbelief and common sense to like the movie?

I doubt if I?ll see the movie before it?s on TV either way, but things like this make me wonder if my brain is even rustier than I thought.
The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.

Comments

• GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,704 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It?s not out yet around here- boycotted movies but son wants to go to this one so probably, yea, I will-
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,138 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It opened on Christmas. People say the cinematography is utterly astounding. I plan to see it soon.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,829 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rocky Raab wrote:
    It opened on Christmas. People say the cinematography is utterly astounding. I plan to see it soon.

Me Too
  • TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is the movie based on actual events or is it purely fiction? Is this one of those movies where you have to suspend disbelief and common sense to like the movie?
    James, That was my question too. Apparently, this is a fictional account of a story the grandfather of Sam Mendes told him when he was a kid.
    edited November -1
    I just checked, and it is showing here in one theater only, one showing only, advance tickets required. On Jan 9. Bought mine online and asked my wife out on a date that night. The theater is across the street from our best Mexican restaurant, so it'll be a proper date.
  • Quick&DeadQuick&Dead Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    austin20 wrote:
    Rocky Raab wrote:

Me Too

Ditto ..... on my bucket list.
    The government has no rights. Only the people have rights which empowers the government.
    We have enough gun laws, what we need is IDIOT control.
    Blood makes you related. Loyalty makes you family.

I thought getting old would take longer. :shock:
  • Quick&DeadQuick&Dead Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    TRAP55 wrote:
    James, That was my question too. Apparently, this is a fictional account of a story the grandfather of Sam Mendes told him when he was a kid.

Actually, I know of ZERO movies based on 'actual events' that jollywood hasn't jazzed up so it's more 'entertaining.'
    ;)
    The government has no rights. Only the people have rights which empowers the government.
    We have enough gun laws, what we need is IDIOT control.
    Blood makes you related. Loyalty makes you family.

I thought getting old would take longer. :shock:
    edited November -1
    For sure. My best evidence of that is the dreadful "Bat 21" which was indeed based on a real event in Vietnam, but which so twisted, altered, and "improved" the genuinely heroic actions of the FACs that it is uniformly reviled by my community of pilots. Even the technical advisor (who actually participated in the rescue) is mortified by what they actually produced.
  • GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,704 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rocky Raab wrote:
    I just checked, and it is showing here in one theater only, one showing only, advance tickets required. On Jan 9. Bought mine online and asked my wife out on a date that night. The theater is across the street from our best Mexican restaurant, so it'll be a proper date.

Mind your manners then if it?s proper-!😂