In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Gunsmith(s)

Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,306 ***** Forums Admin
edited January 2020 in General Discussion
Any gunsmiths in the mix here on GB fourms?

Comments

• TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    HPD, a few, you have a reason for asking, whatcha need?
  • montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,892 ******
    edited November -1
    May I help you???;

JPIKJcBl.jpg
  • Aztngundoc22Aztngundoc22 Member Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK :

Have been one most of my adult life :

Whats up ???

Thanks !!!
    The more people I meet : The more I like my Dog :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I Grew Old Too Fast (And Smart Too damn Slow !!!) !!! :o :?
  • Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a dremil tool and flat * file what can I help you with ;)
    RLTW

• toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sam06 wrote:

Is the file odd, red haired or just not to your liking??
  • mmppresmmppres Member Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are us who have knowledge of being a gunsmith an us who think we are :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
  • US Military GuyUS Military Guy Member Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are about as many comedians as there are gunsmiths.

:D
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,306 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    TRAP55 wrote:
    HPD, a few, you have a reason for asking, whatcha need?

by Aztngundoc22

OK :

Have been one most of my adult life :

Whats up ???

Thanks !!!

Guys, I acquired a bag of once fired 270 brass from a guy I know. Upon examining them I think his rifle has head space issues. The primers are flattened out, and the firing pin indents are cratered. You can actually feel that "stretch" mark right above the case head. It is more prominent on one side than the other. There is some funny looking pitting on the shoulder to neck taper that looks like rust in the chamber to me. I have found two split necks so far after going through about 50 rounds.

I have since voiced my concerns to him, and asked if it was a new rifle, and he said it was older. I have purchased a 270 field gauge, but have not got back with him yet. These are all once fired Winchester and Federal factory rounds. There are about 200 cases in the bag.

My wife and I tried to take pictures of these issues, but some of them really didn't show up well. I would like to find somebody knowledgeable to mail a couple cases to, and have them render a professional opinion. I have done such in the past with forum member Zink, but he has not posted in several years. I sent him an email a couple weeks ago, but received no response.

Any help is greatly appreciated, TIA
  • montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,892 ******
    edited November -1
    Ohhh sure. Now, everyone's busy. :o:o:o

Good catch HPD. Sounds like you're on the right track,but that's as far as I can go for you. Sorry.

BTT,,this important.
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Horse Plains Drifter,

One of the most difficult trials for a gunsmith is trying to diagnose a problem by remote control whether over the phone, by e-mail or a post on a forum. Far too many problems need an actual hands on look or better hands on with tools and gauges to assess the problem correctly.

I understand you will send some cases for examination but the best method would be a local gunsmith who could look at both the chamber and the brass while using gauges and a borescope to look at the chamber. This way you get a thorough assessment of the problem(s).

By your description:
    You can actually feel that "stretch" mark right above the case head.

143046_9996ae5c26352a8969cbdaae3f2b5dfc.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Headspace issues would be a good guess.
    You can actually feel that "stretch" mark right above the case head. It is more prominent on one side than the other.

This is an indication that the chamber is out of round and slightly oversized.
    The primers are flattened out, and the firing pin indents are cratered.

Aside from a high pressure excursion, headspace could again be the problem. The cratering in general is simply the firing pin hole being too large and allowing the primer to flow into the hole around the firing pin. This is also a potential sign of a headspace problem as the firing pin pushes the case forward in the chamber then the ignition pushes it back against the bolt face.
    These are all once fired Winchester and Federal factory rounds.

Federal brass is known to be softer than what if generally acceptable for reloadable brass. Winchester is known to have had problems with their brass formulation for both cartridge brass and shotgun shells. I've personally experienced both. Split necks doesn't surprise me on Winchester brass.

I sincerely suggest a local or reasonably local gunsmith who is qualified to do a hands on examination of the rifle and the brass together.

Best.
  • Grunt2Grunt2 Member Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sam06 wrote:

+1 :D
    Retired LEO
    Combat Vet VN
    D.A.V Life Member