In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

No More Eggs From The Dollar Store

BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,280 ******
edited December 2019 in General Discussion
About a week before Christmas I fixed myself some breakfast with a pair of over easy grade A large eggs atop two pieces of toasted oatmeal bread.

About half way through the 2nd egg, I saw something dark in the yolk's center. I busted into it with my fork and pulled out what appeared to be the tail end of a small scorpion!!! :o :?

We do not have scorpions here in Michigan and besides turning my gills green from what I had been chewing on, made me start considering where my food was coming from?? That and never imagined what a chicken ate could pass into a developing egg and still be somewhat intact. :shock:

Anyway, I know I should have taken a picture but my gut instincts led me to spit, gargle, and scrape all evidence into the garbage can. Done quicker than a fleeing red squirrel! I did investigate the remaining 5 eggs that were still left in the crate. Scrambled them up in a clear glass bowl before dumping them in the same trash can. Didn't want to alarm the wife and kept it all hush hush. She has enough on her plate these days! :) No more exotic parts were found in the remainder but also, no more eggs from our Family Dollar store for me!!

Comments

• hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,121 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    are you sure it wasn't beak and spine????????
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    u just scrapped baby Godzilla
  • Quick&DeadQuick&Dead Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    An imperfection in an egg as you describe SHOULD have been exposed when the eggs were candled.

ALL eggs sold commercially must be candled before packaging.

https://web.extension.illinois.edu/eggs/res26-candling.html

https://www.uspoultry.org/educationprograms/PandEP_Curriculum/Documents/PDFs/Lesson8/EggProcessingPres.pdf

Also, most don't know eggs are sold by weight, not by the quantity although normally packaged by the dozen.
    The government has no rights. Only the people have rights which empowers the government.
    We have enough gun laws, what we need is IDIOT control.
    Blood makes you related. Loyalty makes you family.

I thought getting old would take longer. :shock:
  • sharpshooter039sharpshooter039 Member Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dollar General is by far my preferred place to buy milk and eggs,, way fresher than the grocery store with a better expectation date
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,138 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think you are overly squeamish. I'd have picked out the mysterious bit and finished my breakfast. How do you it wasn't just some charred bit in your pan that got stuck to the yolk when you flipped? Geez.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,280 ******
    edited November -1
    Nope Rocky, it had segments and a stinger. I used to catch scorpions in my bathroom in Wichita Falls TX back when I was doing schooling at Shepard AFB. It was definitely the hind end of one.
  • mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't buy at the dollar store:

Condoms
    Pregnancy tests
    Uncooked pork products
    Milk or eggs
    Sushi

I'm just saying its not a good idea.

Mike
    edited November -1
    I believe you that it was a scorpion part. It is indeed a mystery how it got there.

I'd still have picked it out and finished my breakfast. Certainly not have thrown out the other eggs.
  • BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,280 ******
    edited November -1
    I inherited my squeamishness from my mother. If she ever found a hair on or in her food, she'd toss the whole works and not eat whatever it was in for months on end! :lol: I can pick out a hair or two and continue eating but if it is short and curly...... :lol:
  • Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,460 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    About the time I turned 4 years old, I cut into a soft-boiled egg, and bloody clump of chicken embryo popped out.

(One of my first memories that remains vivid to this day.)

For years, I would insist upon my eggs either scrambled or over hard.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it was a scorpion tail it had to get there some other way than falling out of a chicken's * inside an egg.
    edited November -1
    Over the decades, I have discovered several fertilized eggs with blood spots, but never developed enough to have chick parts identifiable. This from "yard" birds, not egg factories, where there are no roosters. The fertilized ones ate just the same as non. I fix mine sunny up, with yolks deliciously runny. And one thing I am decidedly not is squeamish.
  • Quick&DeadQuick&Dead Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    SCOUT5 wrote:
    If it was a scorpion tail it had to get there some other way than falling out of a chicken's * inside an egg.

^^^^^^^^ TRUTH!!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

We raised 100 - 150 chickens every year when growing up on the farm and I've picked more eggs from chicken nests than most people have eaten in their lifetime. :)
    The government has no rights. Only the people have rights which empowers the government.
    We have enough gun laws, what we need is IDIOT control.
    Blood makes you related. Loyalty makes you family.

I thought getting old would take longer. :shock:
    edited November -1
    I'm thinking just maybe it was stuck to the shell, unnoticed, and fell off when it was cracked. That's my best guess.
  • mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Evolution at its best gonna be some bad * Chickens when they grow up with them stingers and all
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!