In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

January....

toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 2020 in General Discussion
Next week, next month, next year and next decade.... :o Oh, and the month of my birthday.... :oops:

Comments

• yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,979 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe new decades start with a 1 and not with a 0. It's Y2K all over again :lol:.
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,137 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Exactly, yosh. Those who think a decade ends after "nine" are just ignorant. Do they count to ten starting with zero? No.

Ten ends with ten! Not nine.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    number lines generally start at zero, come to think of it so do measuring tapes. So do decades start at zero or at one? I guess there's an accepted official arbitrary answer. Now ten is ten but 10 and 1/365 is more than ten hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
  • Quick&DeadQuick&Dead Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never really thought about it but makes sense.

2020 = End of a decade.

2021 = Start of a new decade.

8-)
    The government has no rights. Only the people have rights which empowers the government.
    We have enough gun laws, what we need is IDIOT control.
    Blood makes you related. Loyalty makes you family.

I thought getting old would take longer. :shock:
    edited November -1
    Doesn't matter if you're counting years or dollar bills. You start with "one" and if you stop at "nine" you're short.
    edited November -1
    So was the very first day of the new A.D. calender 01/00 or 01/01? Was 01/01 the first day of the second year or the
    edited November -1
    So was the very first day of the new A.D. calender 01/00 or 01/01? Was 01/01 the first day of the second year or the first day of the first year?
  • hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,120 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    sorry scout, but I can't really remember, let me ask my mother in law and get back with you.............
  • Grunt2Grunt2 Member Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    toad67 wrote:
    Next week, next month, next year and next decade.... :o Oh, and the month of my birthday.... :oops:

Same...Same...!
    Retired LEO
    Combat Vet VN
    D.A.V Life Member
    edited November -1
    hillbille wrote:
    sorry scout, but I can't really remember, let me ask my mother in law and get back with you.............

LMAO
  • toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rocky Raab wrote:
    Exactly, yosh. Those who think a decade ends after "nine" are just ignorant. Do they count to ten starting with zero? No.

Well then I guess I'm just ignorant Rocky. Next time I'll keep my posts to myself so I don't bother you....
  • Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,460 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rocky Raab wrote:

We all start counting a zero, Rocky. We just do not say it.

The number 1 is the accumulation of all that make up whatever 1 is.

A first birthday, for example, is the sum of the 365 days that make up the first year. Likewise when a child is 10 years old, he has finished his first 10 years (his first decade) on that day begins his next decade. We start counting the second decade just like the first; starting a zero and work our way to 9 years, 364 days and then call it another decade.

Yes. We start at zero. Zero occurs at 12:00:00 on 1 January, 2020. 1 occurs at 12:00:00 on 1 January, 2021, and 10 occurs at 12:00:00 on 1 January 2030, which corresponds to zero for the next decade. So while 10 does equal 10 as you state, it also equal zero when looking forward.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rocky Raab wrote:

We all start counting a zero, Rocky. We just do not say it.

The number 1 is the accumulation of all that make up whatever 1 is.

A first birthday, for example, is the sum of the 365 days that make up the first year. Likewise when a child is 10 years old, he has finished his first 10 years (his first decade) on that day begins his next decade. We start counting the second decade just like the first; starting a zero and work our way to 9 years, 364 days and then call it another decade.

Yes. We start at zero. Zero occurs at 12:00:00 on 1 January, 2020. 1 occurs at 12:00:00 on 1 January, 2021, and 10 occurs at 12:00:00 on 1 January 2030, which corresponds to zero for the next decade. So while 10 does equal 10 as you state, it also equal zero when looking forward.

That makes good sense, Don, and is in line with how the federal census works as well.
    What's next?
  • BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,280 ******
    edited November -1
    You guys have sure set me straight with these digital dilemma's!! I have lived at my new place for 4 years and have been here for 5 Halloween's, 5 Thanksgivings, 5 Christmas's, 5 Deer seasons, and 5 New Years so far!!

Have been losing sleep trying to figure out just how can all this be?? :lol:
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    glad to see a new year after a rough december......gotta wear a defib unit till i can get one implanted .....ticker is good on the bp and O2 sat but will not kick out the volume ...bettern being in a box....govt ....seems after diagnosis ,medicare makes ya wait 90 days before they will pay for it...guess they figure a % will die before they spend the money they "borrowed" for 50 + years.......
    edited November -1
    How very kind of you, toad. Much obliged.
  • kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Brookwood wrote:
    You guys have sure set me straight with these digital dilemma's!! I have lived at my new place for 4 years and have been here for 5 Halloween's, 5 Thanksgivings, 5 Christmas's, 5 Deer seasons, and 5 New Years so far!!

Have been losing sleep trying to figure out just how can all this be?? :lol:

I'm thinking you didn't figure in the age of your nearest neighbor!!! :?: :!: :)
    What's next?
    edited November -1
    Apparently the TV News commentators were not educated on when a new decade starts as heard them state multiple times, the the New Year is the beginning of a new decade!

:shock:

BTW - never believe what you hear on the news! ;)
    The government has no rights. Only the people have rights which empowers the government.

edited November -1
    This should make the debate clear as mud!

C&P

When Does the New Decade Begin: This Week, or a Year From Now?
    In recent years there has been debate about when a decade begins and ends. We break it down for you.

By Laura M. Holson
    Published Nov. 28, 2019
    Updated Dec. 31, 2019

??????????????
    Oh, to revel in New Year?s Eve. Cheer with good friends! A glass of Champagne or two. And, this year, ringing in a new decade.

Oh, wait. Are we?

In recent years there has been debate about when a decade begins and ends. For some people, the next decade will begin on Jan. 1, 2020, and end on Dec. 31, 2029. For others, it won?t start until Jan. 1, 2021, concluding on Dec. 31, 2030. To the average person ? well, many of us ? it can be very confusing. But what is correct? Should we celebrate the beginning of a new decade now or wait until next year, when it seems a little pass??

We decided to break it down for readers. We talked to an expert at the United States Naval Observatory, which runs the nation?s master clock. We interviewed an editor at the Farmers? Almanac. We even talked to a curator of astrophysics.

There is one thing almost everyone agreed on. ?Talking about it is a great way to get into a bar fight,? said Geoff Chester, an astronomer and a public affairs officer at the observatory.

Why is this a controversy?
    First, a little history. In 1999, people got into a spat over when the new millennium began. At the center of the dispute was the Naval Observatory, whose calculations of time influence government satellites, your iPhone and more. The agency?s position was that the new millennium began on Jan. 1, 2001, Mr. Chester said. That?s because the observatory uses a modification of the Julian date to measure time. The modified system is used by astronomers and geodesists, who study the size of the Earth. (The original Julian date begins Jan. 1, 4713 B.C.)

So that settled it, right?
    Not so fast. In 525, a monk named Dionysius Exiguus wanted to pinpoint the date for Easter. So he devised a calendar system called anno Domini, which was based on when he believed Jesus was born. A.D., which is Latin for ?the year of our Lord,? is commonly used today. One glitch: Because it identified the date of Jesus? birth as Year 1, not Year 0, there is a time gap, Mr. Chester said. There is a lot of debate about this online, but timeanddate.com, which studies such things, has a good explanation.

Because of this, many people insisted the new millennium began on Jan. 1, 2000. It was widely debated and everyone had something to say. Mr. Chester, who was at the center of the kerfuffle back in 1999, sighed when asked to explain the different dates. ?It?s one of those things where numbers don?t satisfy everybody,? he said.

Did the debate make it easier to understand when a new decade begins?
    Yes and no. Unlike the definition of daylight saving time, the definition of a decade is not governed by legal guidelines. But the debate got people talking. Mordecai-Mark Mac Low, a curator in the department of astrophysics at the American Museum of Natural History, said, ?There are two different ways to designate decades.?

First, there is the modified Julian date. But, he added, ?people work with language more than numbers.? The second way is to designate decades by popular convention and usage. An example? Most people would say the 1950s went from 1950 to 1959.

?People want simple answers,? Dr. Mac Low said. ?But the answer is not always simple.?

Mr. Chester agreed. ?There is no absolute,? he said.

So what is the answer?
    Using a modified Julian date, the 2020s will begin on Jan. 1, 2021, Dr. Mac Low said.

But that is out of sync with common usage. According to Emily Brewster, a senior editor at Merriam-Webster, a decade in popular culture is not defined by scientific convention. Because of this, the 2020s will begin on Jan. 1, 2020, and end on Dec. 31, 2029, Ms. Brewster said.

?It is interesting that there is this arbitrariness,? she said. ?It?s unconventional, like language.?

So I can still throw an end-of-the-decade party in December, right?
    Most definitely. Indeed, people have already begun celebrating the end of the 2010s. ?This could be a great controversy,? said Peter Geiger, editor of the Farmers? Almanac. ?Or maybe it?s really just a great diversion.?

Jack Begg contributed research.

:lol:

• BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,280 ******
    edited November -1
    Mordecai-Mark Mac Low :shock:

If my folks named me that, I'd have to become a physicist just to keep the bully's at bay! :lol: I would bet he wears some pretty thick eye glasses!
    edited November -1
    Like I asked, what was the date of the first day of the A.D. calendar? I've been told, by those in the know, that the new decade starts in 01 but I've never understood how.

Take money. Start at zero and count in pennies, when you reach 10,000 pennies that is $10. When you add another penny that is $10.01, isn't that the start of the second $10? The same applies to years and days. If you count in days the first day if 2020 will be 2020 plus one day making the first day of the year the start of a new decade. I've never had anyone give me a good explanation of why this isn't so. I always get the the ten is ten and eleven is eleven answer. But anything more than 10 is more than 10 and therefore it starts the next 10 years. I've been told I am wrong, but I've never had anyone explain exactly why I am wrong.

Edit: Okay, so I read the article and it seems they set zero at one when they started the calendar. That doesn't make much sense but as they're all dead I can't tell them what dumb * they were. You set up a ruler to start at one and when you get to 10 inches you're only 9 inches away from the starting point. Somehow that made sense to highly educated science folks. But then that's how we expect women to believe a ruler works, so maybe they were just trying to do us a favor.
  • mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    LOL
    hillbille wrote:
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hope you get that all worked out prayers asked for your health
    spasmcreek wrote:
    glad to see a new year after a rough december......gotta wear a defib unit till i can get one implanted .....ticker is good on the bp and O2 sat but will not kick out the volume ...bettern being in a box....govt ....seems after diagnosis ,medicare makes ya wait 90 days before they will pay for it...guess they figure a % will die before they spend the money they "borrowed" for 50 + years.......
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!