In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Stock mkt

Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 2020 in General Discussion
I just checked my Rate of return on my stocks for the year, 31.8% :o That is crazy something has got to give.
RLTW

Comments

• Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,191 ******
    edited November -1
    Sam06 wrote:
    I just checked my Rate of return on my stocks for the year, 31.8% :o That is crazy something has got to give.

My 401k was at %23.65 at the end of November.
    I could handle another 5 years of this for sure.
  • Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No doubt!

My IRA's did really good too but I cannot see it being sustained for another 6 months.
    RLTW

• varianvarian Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    its Trumps fault. he has to GO.
  • CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a pretty good year in the markets as well. Took a little bit off the table last week and paid off the house and what little was left on one vehicle. Will fund some home improvement/repair projects I've been holding off on. Now seems to be a good time to rebalance my IRA and roll 2 401k's that have been doing well into some more conservative positions.
  • toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    CaptFun wrote:
    I had a pretty good year in the markets as well. Took a little bit off the table last week and paid off the house and what little was left on one vehicle. Will fund some home improvement/repair projects I've been holding off on. Now seems to be a good time to rebalance my IRA and roll 2 401k's that have been doing well into some more conservative positions.

Agree. We're going to take some of the good earnings out in the first few days of 2020 and maybe look for a safer harbor to anchor in a for a bit with some of the rest.
  • mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What and miss out on another 20-35% gain? !!

Smart no telling when maybe ten more years but someday as usual the market will correct. Depending on age its always smart to readjust as needed
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • GilWilson1GilWilson1 Member Posts: 182
    edited November -1
    Lest we forget its been a good run but 2018 For the year, the S&P 500 fell 6.2%, the Dow dropped 5.6% and the Nasdaq Composite shed 3.9%, marking the worst annual performance for all three since 2008.

"Among the other causes of the eventual market collapse were low wages, the proliferation of debt, a struggling agricultural sector and an excess of large bank loans that could not be liquidated"
  • Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    2019 in the market has been amazing for sure! Just finished some re-balancing of the old portfolios myself.
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • mjrfd99mjrfd99 Member Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Great year. Most investments did great.
    Wife's year end bonus [1 of 2 ] $10k +
    6 yrs ago they weren't doing good. Now?
    MAGA

We took some profits to vacation large.
    Thanks to the Don!

4r15vkz.jpg
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    varian wrote:
    its Trumps fault. he has to GO.

For sure, by this point in his admin he is behind both the Clinton and Obama admins for stock market performance. We gotta vote Dem! :lol:
  • mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Heck Aussies dropped 40 billion ion one day they aint worried
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,137 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I started buying mutual funds in the early 70s, at the time of one of the longest bear markets ever. The DJIA dropped to as low as 577 but was mostly flat at about 800 during that time. So in the time I've been in the market, it's gone from 577 to 28,577. Along the way, there were three major downturns and the dotcom burst. Despite those, I'm doing just fine. Over the years, we've put in a total of something like $50,000 a bit at a time and taken out something like $200,000 for colleges, weddings, taxes, and home refurb. It's now worth...well, I'm not saying here.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.