In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Does your spouse know where/how to;

montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,892 ******
edited January 2020 in General Discussion
Turn off gas main to house
Turn off main or individual circuit breakers
Turn off water main
?????
Do you, yourself know????

Comments

• mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not only does she she laid out the rafters and cut them for her she shed :)
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,892 ******
    edited November -1
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,309 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    montanajoe wrote:
    Turn off gas main to house No gas main here.
    Turn off main or individual circuit breakers Yes
    Turn off water main Yes
    ?????
    Do you, yourself know???? Yes
    edited November -1
    Is a ?spouse? necessary to play this game ??? :mrgreen:
    you thinking, 'ol who's her nose???
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    No gas; it is electric here in Florida. The circuit breaker panel is in the garage, which is not exactly convenient. The main water shut off is in the meter box outside, but there is also a shut off value inside the garage which cuts off water to the house. That is convenient.
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Really- that is a damned good question. One of my grandsons had purchased his first home. Decided to repair a dripping bathtub faucet- and did NOT turn the water off. Called me in a panic, house flooding. Was able to talk him thru finding the main shutoff, and them headed for his house with a wet vac and a portable dehumidifier.

And the number of small businesses where nobody knows where the emergency shut offs are located is incredible. Yeah, once upon a time Charlie knew- but Charlie retired and moved to Florida 2 years ago.
  • Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    my wife is on the can do list of about any project that comes along . she has helped me do about every thing to the house and cars and can do a lot on her own .
    she tells our friends the story of repairing a broken water line while I was at work one day cut out and replaced a section , I came home and did not say way to go honey , I said something like why did you use my "good " hack saw and get it all wet :oops: :oops:
    looking back it was the wrong comment to say :cry::cry::cry:
    edited November -1
    montanajoe wrote:
    Turn off gas main to house No gas main here.
    Turn off main or individual circuit breakers Yes
    Turn off water main Yes
    ?????
    Do you, yourself know???? Yes

:):):)
    edited November -1
    No gas; it is electric here in Florida. The circuit breaker panel is in the garage, which is not exactly convenient. The main water shut off is in the meter box outside, but there is also a shut off value inside the garage which cuts off water to the house. That is convenient.

:):):)
    edited November -1
    11b6r wrote:
    Really- that is a damned good question. One of my grandsons had purchased his first home. Decided to repair a dripping bathtub faucet- and did NOT turn the water off. Called me in a panic, house flooding. Was able to talk him thru finding the main shutoff, and them headed for his house with a wet vac and a portable dehumidifier.

And the number of small businesses where nobody knows where the emergency shut offs are located is incredible. Yeah, once upon a time Charlie knew- but Charlie retired and moved to Florida 2 years ago.

Yes sir,that's what I'm talking about. :):););)
    edited November -1
    my wife is on the can do list of about any project that comes along . she has helped me do about every thing to the house and cars and can do a lot on her own .
    she tells our friends the story of repairing a broken water line while I was at work one day cut out and replaced a section , I came home and did not say way to go honey , I said something like why did you use my "good " hack saw and get it all wet :oops: :oops:
    :lol::lol::lol: ,,but yeah good for her,good for you. That's about how it is at my house. Wife has always been by my side and helping with any project. We're pretty lucky guys ya know.
  • Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes lucky for sure . thank goodness my wife has a soft spot in her heart for stray cats, dogs and dumb husband ;);)

montanajoe wrote:
    :lol::lol::lol: ,,but yeah good for her,good for you. That's about how it is at my house. Wife has always been by my side and helping with any project. We're pretty lucky guys ya know.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    edited November -1
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,134 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mine knows where all those are and could do the water and electric. Not sure she could do the gas because it's outside and the valve is almost buried. (I keep digging it out and it keeps filling in by itself. Poor design)
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rocky Raab wrote:
    Mine knows where all those are and could do the water and electric. Not sure she could do the gas because it's outside and the valve is almost buried. (I keep digging it out and it keeps filling in by itself. Poor design)

Can you set a valve box around it with a cover to slooooow the process?
  • EELLEELL Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Living in the mountains of western NC, it is very advantageous to have a back up generator system. Since my well is on a separate meter from the house power, I have two systems. A 12kw for the well & a 45kw for the house. Both are fully automatic systems, (loose power they come on), (power restored they shut down). I am assuming that your question about knowing where to shut off utilities would be in the event of a fire or natural disaster, (hurricane, tornado,etc). It is equally important to know how to shut down the emergency power systems in the event of such.
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No gas, well on a breaker. Main in laundry room. No biggie.
  • Quick&DeadQuick&Dead Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    montanajoe wrote:
    Turn off gas main to house (Sure, outside at the gas meter)
    Turn off main or individual circuit breakers(Inside the main breaker box)
    Turn off water main (Not the city water main that feeds the house but the main shutoff valve inside the house)
    ?????

Yes, I know where each is and how to do it.

I've showed and told the wife but ........ well ~ you know how that goes! ;)
    The government has no rights. Only the people have rights which empowers the government.
    We have enough gun laws, what we need is IDIOT control.
    Blood makes you related. Loyalty makes you family.

I thought getting old would take longer. :shock:
  • Cling2mygunsCling2myguns Member Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sad thing is I see many of today's "men" that have no idea where any of the utilities/mechanicals are in their homes. Many times the women are more knowledgable. But the "men" can tell you about every new video game or tv show. Pathetic.
    edited November -1
    Quick&Dead wrote:
    montanajoe wrote:
    Turn off gas main to house (Sure, outside at the gas meter)
    Turn off main or individual circuit breakers(Inside the main breaker box)
    Turn off water main (Not the city water main that feeds the house but the main shutoff valve inside the house)
    ?????

Yes, I know where each is and how to do it.

I've showed and told the wife but ........ well ~ you know how that goes! ;)
    :):):lol:
    edited November -1
    Sad thing is I see many of today's "men" that have no idea where any of the utilities/mechanicals are in their homes. Many times the women are more knowledgable. But the "men" can tell you about every new video game or tv show. Pathetic.

Agree
  • Quick&DeadQuick&Dead Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    To add a comment:

The house main water shut off valve should be exercised annually to assure it remains functional and doesn't 'freeze' in the 'on' position.

Same is true for the hot/cold water valves for the clothes washer and the the little shut off valve for the bathroom stool tank.
    ;)
    The government has no rights. Only the people have rights which empowers the government.
    We have enough gun laws, what we need is IDIOT control.
    Blood makes you related. Loyalty makes you family.

I thought getting old would take longer. :shock:
    edited November -1
    Yep,good point.