In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

* and Beavers

Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 2020 in General Discussion
This mornings woods walk with my 2 Golden's was exciting. To bad its one of the few times I didn't have a gun on me :evil:

They treed a good sized *. My youngest dog Chip saw him and took off. Jack was on his heels but they didn't get to it in time and up a tree it went. He was missing 1/2 his tail but he was a good sized *.

Then we get down to the creek and see the dam beaver :evil: :evil: He was on the bank and would have been an easy shot with a 22 rifle.

Oh well there will be other days and I will be packing a 22 rifle next time. I usually have either a HK USP 45 or a Beretta 32 auto on me but for some reason I left them at home..........
RLTW

Comments

• He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    He Dog wrote:
    You hungry?

No but I usually shoot Beavers because they ruin the creek. The * would have likely got a pass from me unless it was acting strange. I shot one a few weeks ago that was walking sideways and acting weird, I figured it was either sick or rabid, this one looked fine except he was missing about 1/2 his tail.
    RLTW

• He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Beavers were there before you were Sam, maybe they should shoot you for interfering. :twisted: :lol:
  • arraflipperarraflipper Member Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you want to see animals leave your guns behind, same with a camera. Seems to work that way, for me.
    edited November -1
    He Dog wrote:
    Beavers were there before you were Sam, maybe they should shoot you for interfering. :twisted: :lol:

I am in for a little fire fight, its been awhile. These beavers moved in 5 months ago. There were 4 now there is only one and its a Junior.
    RLTW

edited November -1
    Update

The * got shot this morning.

We were walking in the woods and I saw the * before the dogs did. I put them on a leash and walked up to the *. He was laying on the ground breathing hard. I threw a pine cone at him a few time to see if he would move, no reaction.

I tied the dogs up and got a stick to poke the *. He barely moved and acted like he couldn't get up.

I Untied the dogs but kept them on a leash, walked back to the house and got my 22 rifle. Left the dogs at the house and shot Mr * in the head. I took a shovel and dug a hole about 2' deep and buried him with a bunch of rocks on top.

I kind of feel sorry I didn't shoot him yesterday but he looked OK to me. Its a shame he had to suffer all night.
    RLTW

• bustedkneebustedknee Member Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you see a * in the daylight -- something IS wrong!
    I can't believe they misspelled "Pork and Beans!"
    edited November -1
    bustedknee wrote:

You are right there, that is why I thought it was strange to have the dogs tree one in the morning. I just figured he was heading back home late and ran into us.
    RLTW

• brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    bustedknee wrote:

That's an old wives tale . Racoons are out any time of day or night & are not sick.
    Sam06 the beaver is the best possible animal you can have if you have a creek , they fix it to attract more wildlife .
    edited November -1
    brier-49 wrote:
    That's an old wives tale . Racoons are out any time of day or night & are not sick.
    Sam06 the beaver is the best possible animal you can have if you have a creek , they fix it to attract more wildlife .

That's the first time I've ever been called an "Old wife". :lol:
  • brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    bustedknee wrote:
    brier-49 wrote:

That's the first time I've ever been called an "Old wife". :lol:

LOL that is a common misconception about *, they don't care what time of day it is.
    edited November -1
    I have rarely seen a * in daytime and if I did he was in a tree.

I live out in the country and we have all kinds of wildlife but just about every * I have come across was messed up in some way. I don't see healthy ones very often and especially during the day.
    RLTW

edited November -1
    Yep. My information did not come from a book. I suppose we should preface every thing we say with, "It has been my experience...." :roll:
  • Merlinnv12Merlinnv12 Member Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was awakened one night by the automatic light on my back deck. I got up and looked outside to see a skunk and a * rummaging around under the bird and squirrel feeders.
    Thought it was weird to see them hanging around together.
    Then I went back to bed and saw a beaver!
    “What we’ve got here, is, failure to communicate.”
  • hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,121 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    not sure down your way, but here you could get a visit from the bunny cops for shooting a beaver, may want to rethink your posting and just say they wandered off or disapeared.......
    edited November -1
    hillbille wrote:
    not sure down your way, but here you could get a visit from the bunny cops for shooting a beaver, may want to rethink your posting and just say they wandered off or disapeared.......

From the NC game website:

There is an open season for taking beaver with firearms or bow and arrow during any open season for the taking of wild animals, provided that permission has been obtained from the owner or lessee of the land on which the beaver is being taken.

Its on my land.
    RLTW