In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

What is/was this 22LR Rifle.

elkdroppingelkdropping Member Posts: 728 ✭✭✭

The only stamp I can see reads Nitro.

Thanks!

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/852928747

Comments

• Options
    Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭

I think you have a German .22 trainer. Maybe an Anschutz??

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭

I have an Erma trainer, bolt on mine looks like a Mauser. It does have that same front sight, also has a sight protector.

• Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭

It's German Trainer, and I'm about 90% sure it was a prototype design made 1933-34, that resulted in the final design of the DSM-34. If that's what it is, someone needs to be slapped upside the head for cutting it up for parts.

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭

I agree about it being German, re the proof marks. I've seen a number of stocks, cut like that over the years. Mostly on the larger , 8 X 57 military rifles though. Collectors call them, "Duffle Bag" guns.

When are guys, were coming home across the big pond., after May of 45. They were limited in the size of the souvenirs, they could bring home with them. To what could fit into a duffle bag. On the larger rifles, many were cut underneath the steel barrel band. So the cut, wouldn't be as noticeable. Being this guy was a .22 trainer, with different dimensions than the 98 K's. It probably was cut, as best as could be so it would fit.

• Options
    kannoneerkannoneer Member Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭✭

That is very true, rufe, but I imagine this one was worked over by a government agency so it could never work again. Better than getting melted down, as many crime/confiscated guns are. Kind of like punishing the gun for the misdeeds of the owner.