In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Marlin Model 28 date of manufacture

Sr2016Sr2016 Member Posts: 1

Hi , new to this so here we go .  I recently purchased a very nice Marlin model 28 pump repeater in 12ga.  I was wondering if anyone out there knows of a good source of information on when a particular serial number was made .  I know the model 28 was manufactured between 1913 and 1922 ,  but I would like to find out when mine was manufactured .  It only has a three digit serial number , number 995 , so I'm assuming it's certainly very early production , maybe even first year .  Any information would be greatly appreciated .  Thanks to all in advance who respond .

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020

I don't think there is a list, your assumption is about as close as it gets IMHO. I would suggest only low pressure loads be shot in it.

• mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭✭

look at it polish it hang on the wall

• kannoneerkannoneer Member Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭✭

After 1916 there was a letter with the SN. So, yours is probably a first year gun. Marlin has advised not to fire their early pumps, this one included. I have a Model 28 and have shot it long ago with trap loads but why take a chance? The Model 28 could be special ordered with a damascus barrel until around 1920 but I have never seen one.