In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

WWII Code 42 Luger

snowmansnowman Member Posts: 3
edited January 2020 in Ask the Experts

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020

Interesting. Looks well done as in not by Bubba. Could have been done later or when issued/presented to the guy for some reason. Have you googled his name as a german WWII soldier?

Oh and welcome, there are lots of helpful and knowledgeable people here.

• Options

Thanks for the reply.  Yes, I have tried to research the name; I did find a persons obituary with this exact initials and name; the gentleman was from PA, but no mention was made of military service... so likely wasn't him.   Its obviously a German surname, but was the gun a presentation to a German Officer.... or a GI who had his own name inscribed as a souvenir?  That's the $50 question!     I'm hoping some Luger expert has seen this kind of thing before and can shed some light on the matter. 

• Options
    Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭

The fancy engraved Kreighoff Lugers sometimes had the recipient's name on them. It is possible this gun was originally presented to Herr Steigerwalt when it was new.

On the other hand I searched for several minutes trying to find any other lugers similarly engraved and all I found was this:

https://www.austinauction.com/p/event_items/81/41.jpg

I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭

Very unlikely, that the engraving was done during the war, IMHO. Just wasn't done, in the kraut wehrmacht. Kind of funny thinking about it. Some guy has his named engraved on a Luger. Best case scenario for him. He would get sent to a penal battalion , on the eastern front,(Russia).

• Options

Thanks for your reply.