In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Harrington & Richardson Victor no. 2 value

PorchpuppyPorchpuppy Member Posts: 2

Hi folks

I have a friend who is wanting to sell her dad's gun. A Victor no. 2 Serial # in the high 5000s. The firing pin is broke off of the hammer. The barrel does not rotate when the hammer is cocked, but turns freely. The gun will drop the hammer when the trigger is pulled. The finish is so-so ruff and pitted. Not sure if is was blued or nickle what. More just steel color now. The wood grips are not bad for their age.

Can anyone help me to give her a fair price for the gun. I knew her dad and would like to have the gun but only at a fair price. There was one sold on Gun Auction for $84, Similar over all condition, but it does have the firing pin and the serial number was #1970.

Can any one help me or lead me to the direction to find a fair price for her.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Porchpuppy

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭

Tough call. Bad hammer and sounds like the hand is broken/missing/worn or the spring is gone/broken - these parts are needed to rotate the cylinder. Ammo 32 RimFire, yea good luck with that at any reasonable price.

I would think taking her out for dinner is fair trade.

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭

Personally I would pass on it. As diplomatically, as you could. In the condition you describe. It's only value, would be for parting out. Speaking from experience. It would cost you more in money and aggravation. To fix it. Than it would ever be worth.

• Options
    waltermoewaltermoe Member Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,746 ✭✭✭✭

It is worth hardly anything. Pistols don't make good wallhangers but if you wanted to put it on an antler giver her a 30 spot and call it good.

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭

Porchpuppy,

Welcome to the forums!

Establishing a proper and fair value for firearms can be tricky under the best circumstances so we recommend good quality pictures which are sharp and well lighted. A hands-on examination is actually the best method. One man's description can be interpreted many different ways leading to different prices.

Reading your description, I think she wants to get rid of it and you want to buy but you don't want to pay much for it.

I suggest making a gentlemanly offer and then putting it in a shadow box over the fireplace for remembrances and a fine decoration which is safe to display.

Best.

• Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020

Welcome to the forums.

You would like to have the gun and you knew her father. There is your value, what's that worth to you. So many people worry about giving a dollar more than they have to and just hold themselves back. $20 one way or another isn't worth the time to study that hard on it. If someone is in the business of buying and selling for profit they need to invest more thought and study time. No one want to way overpay for anything of course, but does a few dollars here or there really matter?

$84 plus shipping and receiving would mean a none FFL would have about $130 in the one you looked at. There is your starting point, go from there. I agree with the above mentioned gentlemanly offer.

• Options
    PorchpuppyPorchpuppy Member Posts: 2

Thanks Folks for the help. She is going to give me the gun for a hug and I am going to leave it as is. I will put together all the information I can get about it and it's owner to put in my files. Maybe someday one of her grand kids might like to have it. I'm good with that. Thanks again

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    That's a fine deal in my opinion especially giving consideration to the grandchildren.
    Best.