In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Rechamber question

hadjiihadjii Member Posts: 976 ✭✭

I'm considering buying a Henry, break open single-shot rifle chambered in 308 winchester. My question is whether I could have it rechambered for 300 rcm without it turning into a major undertaking. The reason I choose a 300 rcm is because I already have a 300 rcm, and would like another one in a single shot.

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭

https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/single-shot-rifle/

I'm not seeing any hi pressure larger diameter rounds listed. I'd ask them for an opinion on the action & barrel strength. A #1 Ruger would be good.

• hadjiihadjii Member Posts: 976 ✭✭

Yeah, every once in a while, I'll see a ruger no 1 in 300 rcm, but lordy, they're expensive. I have 1 ruger no 1 in 25-06, and it shoots good after I did a bedding job on it. I wouldn't mind trying a Henry single shot, but if I can't do it, then that's ok. I'm not gonna do anything stupid or dangerous.

• nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭

Good Morning hadjii,

It's been a while since I did a search for break action riflles so I spent some time looking and measuring.

Unfortunately everything available right now under $1,000 is made for lower pressure or smaller diameter cartridges. You could certainly use the .308 you mention but I'm concerned that the diameter of the barrel and the breech strength will fail when using the larger diameter 300 RCM. We've seen this before when the larger diameter cartridges are cut into smaller diameter barrels or barrels made to contain lesser cartridges.

Yes the Ruger #1 is expensive, it's the nature of that company and the demand.

The 1885s are less expensive and some of the B78s are what could be considered affordable. Finding the rifle barrel for the new chamber will be the project though.

Good Luck!

Best.

Thanks nononsense. That's all I needed to hear. I won't be doing that one. I seen a winchester 1885 in 325 wsm. Thought that would be pretty interesting as well, but in all honesty, at my age, I shouldn't even be thinking about such projects.

• SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭

If you get a Henry single shot a review would appreciated. I've been looking at those myself.

I just missed a heckuva deal here on gunbroker this morning. There was a mossberg ssi in 270, very good condition, with a bushnell 4200 2.5-10 x 40, with a buy it now for $250. Duh! Wasn't the caliber I was looking for, but for that price, the scope was almost worth that much. Snooze-you lose I guess. Dang it anyway. LOL

• nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    hadjii said:

I seen a winchester 1885 in 325 wsm. Thought that would be pretty interesting as well, but in all honesty, at my age, I shouldn't even be thinking about such projects.

I'm not so sure about that. ;)
    I just bought the components for a 325 WSM project a few months ago which will get started about mid-summer. I've got several projects in line right now such as the 33XC, 338 Edge, 338 SnipeTac and a couple of bigger ones (375 CheyTac) for 375 Match Solids so don't feel like you have to put a project off because of your age.
    Enjoy the process!
    Best.

Thanks nononsense.