In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

solvent and oil vs. CLP....

toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
Always been a solvent and oil guy for cleaning purposes, brand varies depending on my mood at the time. One thing I've really become happy with is M-Pro 7 for cleaning carbon on the cylinder faces of my revolvers. After reading up on it, it states that it is a 3 in 1, or a CLP product. Any one used a CLP product instead of the old solvent and oil method? If so, which one's, and how do they work for you?

Comments

• waltermoewaltermoe Member Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭✭

Brake Free is a 3in1 CLP, always seemed to work good me. I prefer solvents for the bore when it needs a though cleaning with a brush, how ever Brake Free can work just as well, solvent seems to dissolve power resin fast better when left to soak.

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    I like Shooter's Choice for my solvent and use the BreakFree as the final wipe. On my stainless steel pistols I just leave the black, sort of like the blue on chrome exhaust pipes.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    The owners manuals in my three Sigs recommend CLP for everything.  It works.  I have a gallon of other stuff to use up.
  • BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    I haven't had a lot of luck with clp products on shotguns. Plastic wad residue kind of laughs at it. Shooters choice loosens it in about 10 minutes. For lightly used rifles and handguns I do use clp. Some do require the occasional use of something stronger for copper build up. I like clp because of low odor. If I clean just one gun in the house with Montana Extreme, my wife makes her displeasure known. The high stink stuff just gets used in nice weather when I can use it in the garage or outdoors. Bob
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 35,988 ******
    I use Gibbs for CLP, and it works.