In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

S&W Model 29-3 Stainless??

redman.com1redman.com1 Member Posts: 718 ✭✭
hello looking at a S&W 29-3 stainless? all I ever new that a 29 is blued or nickel and the 629 is the stainless, but this is stainless, 8 inch barrel and ported. not marked classic or anything else. any help on that, thanks

Comments

• Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭
    I do believe if it is stainless it is not a model 29. I have never heard of a stainless 29 so it is a 629 as you suspect.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    Likely it's nickeled, with a high polish finish. Or very unlikely Chrome. According to SCSW a few were special ordered. Chrome plated.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    On second thought. There is a plating process, called electroless nickel. It appears to be stainless. Depending on the amount of polishing, or lack of it. Done on the metal, it's applied to. Don't know if Smith electroless nickeled, any of their Model 29's? I wouldn't be buying that Model 29, unless you can ascertain that the finish is S & W factory. Might have been done, in bubbas bumper shop.
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 35,988 ******
    All those older Smiths have gotten pricey.  I believe I'd be wanting a letter on that one before buying.
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    For many years, S&W has marked nickel plated revolvers with 3 "P"'s:  bottom of barrel, rear of cylinder, & grip frame under grips.
    Incorrect or partial model number stamped on the frame of S&W's is not uncommon.
    Stainless steel S&W's are polished differently on different parts; absent photos, all I can tell you is to look closely at all surfaces.