In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

rechamber 22 lr to 22 wmr

GeriGeri Member Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭

I have seen a remington 510 rechambered to 22 wmr, and a sears single shot

also rechambered. I thought the grove diameter on the 22 wmr was larger.

Is this a safe practice? How well would this shoot if the grove diameter is to small?

Thanks.

Comments

• Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******

JUST TO NOTE; THE GROVE DIA. DIFFERENCE IS ONLY .002" AND BOTH CARTRIDGES ARE RELATIVELY LOW PRESSURE. WHILE IT ISN'T THE BEST PRACTICE IT MAY WORK.

• waltermoewaltermoe Member Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭✭

You would have to rework the bolt, open up the face and alter extractors. Also you would more than likely have to lengthen the port to be able to get the Cartage in and have room for the case to be ejected.

• spasmcreeksrunspasmcreeksrun Member Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭
    have used a standard 22wmrf finish reamer of several older single shot 22lr rifles with no problem...on newer like the savage cub i found the rifling to be tighter to specs and had to hone the pilot on the reamer down a tiny bit......couple i had to enlarge the rim recess on the bolt a little to fit the  wmrf case rim.......the cubs make a fun shooter as the action opens enuff to get the shell in/out and with the side safety (back no/ forward go) and the short size it is a handy one for a small pickup or tractor cab...they are grooved for a tip off mount  
  • GeriGeri Member Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭
    Spas I find that interesting. How accurate were the rechambered rifles? Thanks.
  • Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    Accuracy sometimes not too great afterwards but little better with different makes and models of shells.
  • GeriGeri Member Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭
    Okie, thanks, Is this based in your personal reseach?
    Any input welcome.
  • pip5255pip5255 Member Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭
    I've done it on a couple older bolt action single shot 22's and used finish reamer for chamber and mill in drill press for bolt face no problems with extractors or ejectors and they all pretty much shot the same groups as before rechambering, other actions require extensive work so I opted not to do them.
    just because you could doesn't mean you should