In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Status of an Antique Colt

capgun1capgun1 Member Posts: 63
I have an 1883 Colt SAA I am going to sell, matching numbers, black powder frame. In the 1950s an early 2nd gen .45 barrel and cylinder were installed on the gun. I am trying to confirm the gun is still an antique. C&Rs must be in their original condition per the 1968 GCA. I have found nothing saying that of antiques. I have searched the ATF site, and there is nothing addressing this situation. I have called 20 ATF field offices, and get nothing but voice mailboxes. Anyone have any experience with this?

Comments

• nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    The place I would look are FFL Newsletters, downloadable from the ATF website.  They are indexed for about the last 10 years, but prior editions need to be manually searched.  The mods you describe wouldn't remove a firearm from the "C&R" category, so I wouldn't hesitate when applied to an antique.  As long as you don't remove a handgun from the "firearm" category, you will be OK; e.g., convert it to NFA or AOW.
  • bertman1017bertman1017 Member Posts: 102
    If the receiver is an 1883 date than it is considered an antique. You can sell it as a pre 1899 gun. Most states you can sell it directly person to person but there are exceptions, NJ MA are two examples where even an antique gun has to go thru a ffl
    CT is not one of these states yet , so you could sell directly to a person with no ffl . PM and we can talk.
  • Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    The serialized frame was made in 1883. It is and always will be an antique.
  • TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    The serialized frame was made in 1883. It is and always will be an antique.

This ^^^! Russian Mosins are a good example, the Finns were rebuilding receivers made prior to 1/1/1899, clear into the late 1960's, and are still classified "Antique". Modifications only apply to "C&R" classified firearms, not "Antiques".
  • chmechme Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭✭
    Barrel and cylinder are leally just parts.  The receiver (frame) IS the gun.  And as others have stated- once an antique, always an antique.  Just don't go turning one into an NFA weapon- like sawing the barrel off on a Winchester 97 pump.