In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

M16 clip/magazine

AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭✭
Is ammunition issued in stripper clips/chargers to be loaded in the M16 rifles magazine?  Similiar to the arrangement for the .30 carbine.  

Comments

• KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

Personally, I never encountered any "Stripper Clip," ammunition for the M16. (1980-84.) We always loaded individual rounds by hand, into the magazines.

Perhaps others have a different experience. (?)

• HangfireHangfire Member Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭
    Morning Ambrose~

Good description and info at this site..You'll also find that P-Mags are grooved to accept the G.I. furnished spoon guide..

"So what is the military packaging system you ask? Military M855/M855A1 62grn 5.56 ammunition ships from the factory with 840 rounds per M2A1 ammo can, with two M2A1 ammo cans in a single wire-bound, wood ammunition crate. Inside each can, the 62gr 5.56 ammo is loaded on 10rd stripper clips which allows the standard 30 round M4/M16 magazines to be filled in three easy motions rather than 30 individual motions which would be necessary with loose rounds. The 84 individual 10 round stripper clips are packed into seven, 120 round, four pocket cloth bandoliers that allow the ammunition to be easily divided into individual loadouts and distributed."

http://tinyurl.com/wff9na6

Ken - not sure when they started this..

• GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,704 ✭✭✭✭
     I have around 400 rounds on strippers. Bought it that way some years ago. In storage or I would go look to see what the headstamp is.
  • US Military GuyUS Military Guy Member Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭✭
       Is it just me or is anyone else having a difficult time counting how many clips are in that pile?
      I know there are two clip guides since it says that, but I don't see where it says how many clips there are.

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    We had the 840 round cans when I was in 74-76. 2 cans to a wood crate.  On the only actual move out alert I ever participated in, we issued a wood crate to every truck in the battalion, movie style as they circled the ammo dump on the way out the post.  The ammo was issued with the stern warning if the seal was broken when it was time to turn the ammo back in, they would be counting that ammo every day until they were reassigned.

It worked 2 days later when the ammo was returned not one seal was broken.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    Prior to the 30 round magazine being standard issue, the bandoleers held 140 rounds(enough for 7x 20 round mags). I have many cans filled with ammo on "strippers in sleeves". FWIW, my real "go to" ammo has 2 rounds of tracer in the "odd" stripper clip (sleeves of 3 have bullet/base/bullet orientation) in each sleeve. Right or wrong it's the way I learned so I'm sticking to it.
  • US Military GuyUS Military Guy Member Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭✭
    We had the 840 round cans when I was in 74-76. 2 cans to a wood crate.  On the only actual move out alert I ever participated in, we issued a wood crate to every truck in the battalion, movie style as they circled the ammo dump on the way out the post.  The ammo was issued with the stern warning if the seal was broken when it was time to turn the ammo back in, they would be counting that ammo every day until they were reassigned.

It worked 2 days later when the ammo was returned not one seal was broken.
    We came out of the field once and I was invited back to the battalion supply.  There was a small problem.  We turned in more smoke grenades than we drew.  Oops!
  • Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    Ambrose,    The answer is yes. The ammo we got in Vietnam was in 10rd clips and came with a mag loader 
    with each bandoleer. Some ammo is still sold that way today.