In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Marlin 1893 question

B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭
edited February 2020 in Ask the Experts
ok I have read all of the other posts on this subject and still am stuck. I saw a Marlin 1893 today and am considering buying it but would like more info on the gun. It has a 26" full octagonal barrel, is chambered in 32-40 , has Model 93 on the top of the tang and a very lightly stamped 829 on the tang where the lever closes to. There is no serial # on this gun where the other posts and, one for sale here, has a serial # 
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/855515832
The serial # is visible in pic 31 on this example. Can anyone help with a DOM on my gun?

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    95628 dates 1893 here https://oldguns.net/sn_php/marlinlookup.php
    added Sorry I'm sort of tired.  I'm thinking that if it has no # then it was: scrubbed or a lunch box special, perhaps a prototype.  Dating will be hard.  829 dates pre 1883 on the above site.
  • B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Charlie but I think that you misunderstood my question. I used the GB gun as an example of where the serial number is usually located on this model. There is no serial # on the one I am looking at to buy locally. I was hoping that with the other info I provided the folks here could narrow the DOM down. (full octagon 26" Bbl) etc.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    If none of are folks can help. You might try the on-line forum. I believe there is one, for Marlin firearms collectors? Usually I start by GOOGLEing. Various combination of names, to see if anything comes up. Close to what I'm looking for.
    I did that and the number on the left side of the upper tang says 824. thanks! But still no number on the forward part of the bottom of the receiver, what gives?
  • TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    Marlin changed from "Model 1893" to "Model 93" about 1921 (previously thought to be 1905). At that same time the serial number was stamped in the bottom tang. The Marlin serial number records were lost years ago, and they were sketchy at best with the system they used. I would hazard a good guess, your rifle was made between 1921 and 1925.
  • Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    My Marlin is a lot newer than yours but the place where you describe 829 stamped is where my serial number is, under the lever.
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
    Thanks everybody that knows more than I do. (That is everybody!) This is a great info center for all things firearms.