In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Need a screw

Chuck KilbournChuck Kilbourn Member Posts: 4
Not that kind! I need a screw for a Model 24 Remington .22 semi-auto. It is called the locating hole plug screw Part key #53. I have been unable to locate one. Any ideas? I fixed up the rifle for my wife. shoots great. I am just missing that one screw. Thanks

Comments

• TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    There is an early, and late version that take different length screws. Do you know which version you have?
  • Chuck KilbournChuck Kilbourn Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for your reply, but I thin I finally found one. It:s the style with the plunger.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    Good luck finding one - small parts that were easily lost or damaged used up the repair stock of parts long ago.  If you haven't google Remington model 24 parts, then do so and click on every link, maybe you will get lucky.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/remington/rifles-rem/24

In the past I have such screws.  You will need to start with an oversize head so you can turn it down to have a square edge the correct size for the hole. This means the threads will be too large (because of the larger head). so the shank will need to be turned down to the proper size for your correct pitch of threads.  It will be much easier to work a longer shank , say 1/2 to 3/4 or more inch long screw.   Start with the die in the normal position.  Then turn the die around and thread closer to the head.  Gun screws are usually extra fine pitch and almost never found at common hardware stores.  Cut to length and then warm the part and cold blue it .  Hot salts is the proper bluing treatment, you might have a local person or perhaps mail it to outfit.
  • ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,646 ✭✭✭

If you can’t find one through numrich you might try Ace Hardware. They have a section of gun screws in their screw section.