In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Own a M1D Garand as New from CMP

Chuck KilbournChuck Kilbourn Member Posts: 4
My dad recently passed and left me a lot of guns. I am a collector also, but the amount is overwhelming.
I have a Garand M-1 as received from the CMP that is very nice to almost new condition bought back in about 1993. I also have another Garand M-1 D sniper that he received from the CMP. It was close to the same time frame maybe 1994. Back when all numbers were matching and they were in prime condition.  Nothing has been mounted or touched for that matter since he bought them. I would like to know the approx. value of each. Like I said I love guns, but do not have the room for all that he collected.

Thank you,

Chuck Kilbourn

Comments

• Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,741 ✭✭✭✭
     Look up on here, "Advanced auctions" and put in your rifles. This will give you a figure in the ballpark for what they are worth. You have a couple of nice ones I would think. Maybe Mark C will be along, he is the Garand man here and could tell you also.
  • Options
    Chuck KilbournChuck Kilbourn Member Posts: 4
    Thans, for your reply, Grasshopper. I always like the Kung-Fu Series. Snatch this pebble from my hand.
  • Options
     LOL if only well, yea, I am that quick.:)
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    Condition is everything, some brands are worth more than others.  You need good pic's or a hands on inspection from someone knowledgeable.  I like everything about them except packing them around.
  • Options
     Well as an experienced buyer and seller here, I can guarantee you list them here and you will get what they are worth on that day. There are many people here in interested in Garands and be brave at 1.00 start , no reserve and I can almost guarantee you that they both will do well.
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020

Locust fork handled both of the D variant cmp lottery special forces variants here on gunbroker...

One hit $4,000.00 and one sold for $5,200.00

Both had been unpacked and opened assembled and fired...

Dave McClain was present when the guns arrived and he filled out the data sheets...

These had one owner provable history and province and paper trails and packing and ephemera...

Both scopes had been restored by the one man who could and had the parts...

While I got much help and support from Mark Christian and other experts I got interrogated and ripped and questioned as nausea - to the point my integrity was at question...

I think Casey answered over 100 buyer email questions.

I don't see anyone getting a higher premium than those two or being better documented...

The C variants did less well though.

I believe my guns were an anomaly high bid items that probably cannot ever be duplicated and represent the highest record auction sales for such guns on record to date.

Hope that helps.

Mike

• Options
      Mike has good, mark that great points. The questions for several types of firearms here will drive a Methodist preacher over the top. But, if you do and answer the questions you will realize the fair amount. Granted they are "professional" questionnaires here because that's all they have to do and never bid on any items. Your call.
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭

I recall an auction of a sniper garand back in the gunshop days were the questions I got asked caused me some research issues cause I had no idea about what some of them meant...

Had to gets all the books out - still tried to provide the answers.

Turned out to be Bruce canfield was the winner asking the questions - that gun ended up being pictured and referenced into two books.

I think that my guns liquidated for health care costs were some of the best documented and researched firearms sold in the last 20 years and that drove prices.

Mark Christian and other mods and experts also helped raise the price.

Locust fork as one of the most respected sellers putting up over 60 pics also spiked bid levels.

BTW pics included files and notes and data sheets and ephemera and receipts and correspondence and packaging and even test targets from cmp high power match events that I attended...

It can be an aggregate of all your efforts or just that one noticed detail or datum that others missed.

I would like to think I have returned those favors with my expertise.

Mike

• Options
    JIM STARKJIM STARK Member Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭
    On just sold on G/B for 3K +...
    JIM................
  • Options
    JIM STARKJIM STARK Member Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
This discussion has been closed.