In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Shooting The Browing Challenger. High Velocity Ammo Needed?

redman.com1redman.com1 Member Posts: 718 ✭✭
hello, been shooting a browning challenger with cheaper and lower velocity ammo and having feed problems. ive been told that the challenger seems to like the high velocity ammo? what ammo have you guys had the best luck and accuracy from in shooting these, thanks 

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    My first choice for 22 rimfire is CCI Minimags.  Tuning magazines to a pistol is a Black Art.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    My first choice for 22 rimfire is CCI Minimags.  Tuning magazines to a pistol is a Black Art.
    +1, I've been shooting a number of 22 pistols lately. With the same problem that the OP notes. Mini-Mag solids are my problem solvers. Be sure it's the 40 grain solids.  The Mini-Mag H-P's, aren't nearly as reliable for some reason?
  • waltermoewaltermoe Member Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭✭

Never shot a Challenger before, but I have shot a lot of others Rugers, Smith& Wesson, Colt etc. none ever really wanted to function that well when using standard ammunition. Always had best luck with 40gr. High velocity ammo. As far as accuracy goes, that will take sometime trying different brands and lots of ammo.

• pip5255pip5255 Member Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭
    low velocity ammo is bad news for all semi's
    try good quality high velocity ammo and see what happens, try several brands, still issues check mag
    just because you could doesn't mean you should
  • John J StimsonJohn J Stimson Member Posts: 111 ✭✭✭
    Any good .22 LR pistol should function just fine with SAAMI standard velocity.  I have or had no problems with any of my .22 pistols including a couple of Challengers. I have used Federal 711 and CCI Stadanrd velocity.

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    That reminds me, I have access to a older Buckmark.  It has firing issues due to a light strike way out on the rim, that I need to fix by re-doing the firing pin.
  • truthfultruthful Member Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭✭
    Part of the problem may be buildup of the waxy lube that most standard velocity ammo has over the bare lead bullet.