In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

French Pistol -need help-

jpcjpc Member Posts: 330 ✭✭✭
I was able to find the name, but little to no other information.
Any help would be appreciated
Looking for Caliber, use in North America and any auction history.

YOUNG GAUTHIER REVOLVER Center fire

thanks

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    Couldn't find anything in my references. ( Not even the name, Gauthier ). My WAG is that it's a very early center fire ( 1850's?). Patterned after a Lefaucheux type Pin Fire revolver.

Early, unknown, low production, revolver like this. Would probably have much more value in Europe, than on this side of the pond. Being it's a obvious antique, you would have minimal problems shipping it overt here. I would put it on our auction. Rather than going through a antique arms dealer.
  • mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020

Somewhat reminiscent of the French Devisme model 1858/1859 11mm center fire revolver and it's descendants / precursors...

From your guns queen Anne style barrel and it's overall mix of patent architecture design features one might suspect an arsenal conversion to centerfire of an older pinfire model or percussion model

The rather haphazard discordant mix of pieces of much earlier guns now taking advantage of rolin whites patented bored through cylinder for self contained metallic cartridges certainly dates it and labels it as a patent infringement cloned...

I will keep looking.

Mike

• NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Did an image search and found this.
    https://www.galeriedemars.fr/fr/armes-de-poing/2857-857-revolver-de-tir-gauthier-jeune-1859-calibre-11mm73-fr-xixe.html
    The text below is the Google translation of the text on the above website.
    "Gauthier Jeune shooting revolver number 56, patent of November 10, 1859, first generation revolver with central percussion which can use rechargeable steel casings at will, capacity 6 shots single action in caliber 11mm 73, sliding door, closed frame, trigger guard finger. Polished matt weapon without any oxidation, patent marking still perfectly clear. Barrel with thimble cost sides then round and with a strong bead in the mouth, 158mm long with very nice very clear stripes, in a mirror-like state. Complete mechanics with impeccable functioning, all original parts, between non-excessive iron, locking without excessive play and with perfect indexing, atypical barrel locking system. Smooth walnut grip plates, without accident. Rare weapon to discover in perfect state of conservation, it will delight a collector of European weapons of the XIXth."

Hope that helps.
    Edit to add...
    http://fr.1001mags.com/parution/gazette-des-armes/numero-348-novembre-2003/page-12-13-texte-integral
    Might need to brush up on your French to read it!
  • jpcjpc Member Posts: 330 ✭✭✭
    Gentlemen:
    Very interesting opinions and it gave me something to think about and follow.  I found this information on an old European auction:
    YOUNG GAUTHIER REVOLVER, SECOND EMPIRE.

Revolver with 6 shots, caliber 11 mm, with central percussion. Advanced certificate on November 10, 1859, with closed frame and side-sliding loading door. Barrel with 8 short sides with thunder, then round, then with a strong bead in the mouth. Relaxation under trigger guard with finger rest. Rhombus cap with suspension ring, walnut grip plate. Barrel marked "GTJ BVT SGDG 50", rifled.
    Length of the weapon 32 cm, length of the barrel 15.8 cm.

Looks like this pistol was made shortly after the one I have.

It is obvious this one got here and wonder if any others did?

Thanks again for your comments and looking for more

take care

jpc