In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

8ga. REMINGTON ammo

fritzfritz Member Posts: 3
edited March 2020 in Ask the Experts
Saw these shells at a show.  WOW

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    Used as noted on box, in industrial ceramic furnaces. Needless to say, not fired from a conventional shotgun. Has to be shipped by a common carrier. Same,same as regular shotgun shells. 
    Seems more a novelty, than anything else to me. Very few 8 gauge shotguns around nowadays. No body in their right mind, would shoot one of these. From one of the old clunkers.
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    While nominally 8 gauge, these shells are designed for use exclusively in industrial kiln guns, which operate at much higher pressures than standard 8 gauge shotgun shells. To prevent an industrial shell from being loaded into an 8 gauge shotgun, the base of the industrial shell is slightly flared, which prevents it from being chambered in a shotgun. Over the years I've seen a few one-off examples of kiln guns converted into firearms, but these conversions do not meet the "sporting test" and because the bore is over 1/2" they are by law classified Destructive Devices and subject to the National Firearms Act. Your shells have value to anyone running a kiln, but beyond that, there is no market other than as a novelty- a novelty being a single shell and not two hundred. 

Shipping requirements are as described by R-S: common carrier.
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,310 ***** Forums Admin
    edited March 2020
    Torch off a 3oz slug in a shoulder fired gun.........Dang.....I don't know about that.

So what purpose does an 8ga. kiln gun serve?
  • chmechme Member Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭✭
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    The geology folks used an 8 gauge slug fired into ground to calibrate the geophones used in earthquake detection.  The gun and tripod was like 150 #.  I think the ammo was more of a match grade "seismic calibration" and came in 5 packs. 
  • chmechme Member Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭✭
    https://firearmshistory.blogspot.com/2011/03/utility-firearms-industrial-shotguns.html

FWIW, with powerplant boiler (10 stories tall in some cases) you can have boiler scale that builds up on the water side, and "eyebrows" of unburned coal dust that build up on the fire side.  I know of at least one company that cleans those by taping 2 sticks of explosives to a 20 ft pole, inserting into the boiler, and detonating it. shock wave breaks loose the crud,  and they use a regular shotgun to clean up the corners.