In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

smith & wesson model A.B.C or Howa rifle bolt swap

golferboy426golferboy426 Member Posts: 969 ✭✭✭
edited March 2020 in Ask the Experts
I have a Husky 9000 (i forget) needing a bolt. Pretty sure the  at least early S&W's were made by Husqvarna I've read that Howa  may have made them too. Can anyone confirm that a Howa 1500 bolt will work in my Husky rifle or even the Mossberg

Comments

• navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Per BOLT ACTION RIFLES by Frank de Hass, "Smith and Wesson …. entered the rifle field in 1968.  Their rifles are based on the exact HVA (Husqvarna) described here."  It does not specifically state it is a HOWA 1500.  Good luck.

Upon further reading, the HVA action is an improved Swedish Model 94 and 96 military action.  It MAY BE POSSIBLE  that a 
    96 bolt may fit or be reworked to fit.  This is offered only as a possibility if you cannot find the correct bolt.

• MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    The later S&W rifles were made by HOWA. 
    FWIW, it's not a good idea to just swap in a different bolt w/o having the headspace checked.
  • golferboy426golferboy426 Member Posts: 969 ✭✭✭
    I'm thinking the Husky and howa actions are not interchangeable. ...Mobuck  if I ever found one I'd have it checked    I would expect ( probably wrongly) that a husky bolt  is a husky bolt   and as long as it was a 470  face and long action of that series  I'd be  fine but I'd still have it checked  Why would it NOT be the same?
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
     "Why would it NOT be the same?"
    If you mean headspace, the reason is headspace is set for a specific barrel/bolt combination to 0.00X"  tolerance.
    Bolt lugs and receiver lug recesses wear with use but not uniformly. Swapping a different bolt with different wear or tolerances could cause an out of spec headspace and related functional problems.
  • TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    Early S&W rifles are the Husky 9000, discontinued about 1972, then they changed over to Howa in Japan for the rifles and shotguns they sold. Those were later taken over by Mossberg in the late 1980's for just a couple of years.