In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.45 ACP Lead 250gr loads needed

Sleet, snow and stay at home order..... i'm going to do some reloading of these rounds.
I have 230gr FMJ bullets which has all kinds of data published on, but the bigger lead bullet i bought for bowling pin shooting is where i'm running into trouble. I have 250gr lead epoxy coated bullets. I have various brands of SP primers (need to get some LP). 
I have a bunch of different powders listed below (Hodgdon & Alliant  mostly).
Red, Green, Blue Dot, Bullseye
700/800-X
Win 231, 296, 452AA
Titegroup, Longshot, International

Don't know if the Lyman manual would have anything on these or not. If anyone has some published data they would like to share I'd appreciate it. Thanks :)

Comments

• Options
    Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭
    Never used anything that heavy in a 45acp. Used to shoot a lot of bowling pin shoots in the 1970's and won consistently shooting both a model 19 with 158 gr sp .357 mag. and a Colt Gold Cup shooting 230 gr ball. Both loads would clean a table of 5 pins in 4.1 to 4.5 seconds if I did my part. They were the most fun matches I shot. It's hard not to watch the pin you just shot slide off the back of the table but if you do you just lost. You gotta stay on that front sight. :)  
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    I think you will beat up a 1911 with the big bullets. A good spring assortment, perhaps some sort of buffer pad or a additional spring guide rod might help.
  • Options
    XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    Over the course of many years I have seen two 1911's  with broken slides as the result of using 250/255 weight bullets.  They will break the slide just behind the spring guide.  Not worth it !
  • Options
    bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭

I plan on loading the rounds as soft as will reliably cycle the action. Will it really hurt a gun to shoot lead rounds loaded that way? I can understand loading FMJ rounds at standard velocity.

• Options
    brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭✭
    I found a great bullet for pins years ago, A saeco 058 . It takes the pins off very nicely & it's 220 grain. It's a flat nose deal
    Shot it with231 5.5 gr. I was lucky to hold 4.5 or so , one of the last matches we had my son aced it with 3.09 , 2nd place 3.20

• Options
    bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    Shot some of these 250gr rounds I reloaded last few days. I ended up using CCI primers, 4.2gr of W231. The load yielded an average velocity of 640 fps. I may see what the next size powder disk hole drops as see how it recoils and changes the velocity, but this might be the load.