In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Spotting scope options

grdad45grdad45 Member Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭✭
I'm looking to get a spotting scope, and have a few questions-
1. Since I will be using it at up to 400 yards, what power range do I need?
2. Angled or straight eyepiece? 
3. What tripod? Don't want a wobbly one.
Thanks!!!!

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    To spot shots at 400 yds. Would require a variable, with the maximum power available. With the best optic resolution, at long range. No Chinese caca, is going to cut the mustard. Be prepared for sticker shock. $$$$+
    I personally prefer an angled eyepiece. Since your going to be paying through the nose for the scope, get the best tripod. High quality camera tripods although stable, don't work well shooting from prone. Get a tripod specifically made for rifle shooting. That can be used from prone to standing. Probably gone run, another couple of hundred?
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    The diameter of the bullet matters.  I can't imagine anything smaller than .30 cal at that range.
    Professional photographers buy the best quality tripods; check at a camera store.
    My next spotting scope will have either a video display or an iphone adaptor.
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    grdad45 said:
    I'm looking to get a spotting scope, and have a few questions-
    1. Since I will be using it at up to 400 yards, what power range do I need?
    2. Angled or straight eyepiece? 
    3. What tripod? Don't want a wobbly one.
    Thanks!!!!
    Most questions about spotting scopes can be answered by deciding how you want to use them. I don't consider 400 yards to be all that far but depending on the light gathering % of the scope and the amount of detail you require for identification, I would opt for at or near top magnification. More magnification = less light gathering and if you hunt where there is a lot of contrast between bright sunlit areas and deeper shadows of woods and treeline, you will need better quality glass. The best glass is worth its weight in gold if you spend a significant amount of time spotting. Lesser quality glass leaves you with headaches and eyestrain due to working harder to resolve the detail you need. But be prepared for sticker shock...

Do you spot while standing and scanning the countryside or do you get comfortable and sit while scanning? Do you spot while prone behind your rifle? Do you spot from a 'tree house' type stand?  Standing I use a straight eyepiece, prone for hunting or competition I use an angled eyepiece. Think through your situations that require a spotting scope and let them dictate the eyepiece configuration. Walk through your hunting area to simulate the positions where you might spot. If you sit in one place all day let that dictate the eyepiece.

There is a world of difference between all of the lower priced glass and the best. Go to a store where you can actually look through the spotting scopes at distant objects out through a door or window. Your eyes will tell you the answer. The price might not sit well but that's how this game gets played. Ignore the $200.00 Chinese glass and search out the better quality glass. If you don't want to afford what looks the best to your eye right now, wait and save, don't settle.

Best.