In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

States that need a FFL for Black Powder Guns

weltechweltech Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
Help I made the mistake of buying Black Powder Rifle from a state that needed a FFL. Does have a list of States that need a FFL.
Or at least let me know if your State does ( Name of State)
Thanks
Don

Comments

• BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,280 ******
    edited November -1
    I am truly unaware of any US state that requires an FFL for black powder arms. There are several dealers however that apparently do not know this and require the extra red tape no matter what you try and tell them.

If I am wrong about this, anyone with more current info please reply.
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    New Jersey requires a permit for a black powder gun and they will put you in jail, for years, if you don't have the permit.
  • Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭
    Some of the newer versions must go through FFL transfer.
    The Remington 700 ML that uses a primed centerfire shell for ignition is one for sure.
  • XP100XP100 Member Posts: 436 ✭✭
    The first model Savage Smokeless needed an an FFL for transfer because it used a module that looked like a 223 casing and could have the barrel chaed to make it a centerfire rifle. Savage 10MLII  can't be converted to CF. 
    No BGC in NY but a felon can no longer own a muzzleloader. 
  • rgnot3rgnot3 Member Posts: 28

The State of Washington requires FFL for black powder purchase & transfers.

• XP100XP100 Member Posts: 436 ✭✭

You can own a BP pistol or revolver in NY without a pistol license but you can not have the components to load or fire it.

• chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,718 ✭✭✭✭

If it is a Rem 700 or Tradition Nitrofire it must go thru FFL. I believe some that can be fitted with a center fire cylinder as well must go thru FFL.

In CA some counties do, Best check.

Reading this post make me grateful I dont live in a DEMOCRAT state.

• steve45steve45 Member Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2023

I’m selling muzzleloaders right now. The places I’ve come up with that must have a FFL are,Ohio, New Jersey, Illinois, Washington DC and New York City pistols only to New York State.